Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

sse2k's '07 Rio Build

Old 03-02-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dravens08S2k
Yes, thank you for not putting black wheels on this beauty. I love how this car looks in your pictures and I can't wait to see it in person
Soon, hopefully the weather gets nice enough to actually go for a day drive!

Originally Posted by jdmwol2ks
Any other pictures? I'm planning on going with the cr shocks/swift springs too, curious how it'll look, i'm planing on also doing 17x8/9 wheels too!
This setup gives it the perfect drop height. I am still playing around with the front camber. At this height the stock adjusters max out at -2.5. I barely rub the fender liner, so I bought the hard race camber and roll center adjusters, and will get those on soon. Not sure how this will work out though, as RCA do cause the front to squat the front a little bit more, causing even more rake.

If that doesn't work out I'll either need to get some front spacers made to put on the tophats to bring the front ride height back up a bit, or switch to an adjustable height suspension setup.

Here's a side profile I took on the same day, didn't really focus on pics so unfortunately the front isn't straight.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:16 PM

As previously noted, I was rubbing a tiny bit on the fender liner on the inside of the two top tabs. I installed the Hardrace Offset Camber adjuster to try and get a little more lean in. I left off the RCA plates since I am not on an adjustable ride height setup. If I end up going that route I will use the RCA plates. This was primarily to try and get it past the maximum achievable of -2.5 up front.

My new alignment setup is:
Front: -2.8° camber, -6.0° caster, 0° toe
Rear: -3.0° camber, 0.15° toe each side, 0.30° total toe

I also bought 2 new fender liners to trim, as the next project is to bend the top two fender tabs out of the way to get everything clear and safe for the inevitable track days this summer.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow the drop looks perfect! I'm about to throw on my CR Shocks/Swift Spec R combo too and will be doing some similar rim setup 17x8/9 +49 with oem spec tires. I hoping it'll look similar to how yours look! Just curious what were your alignment settings prior to the camber adjusters?
Old 04-09-2016, 08:47 PM

Wow the drop looks perfect! I'm about to throw on my CR Shocks/Swift Spec R combo too and will be doing some similar rim setup 17x8/9 +49 with oem spec tires. I hoping it'll look similar to how yours look! Just curious what were your alignment settings prior to the camber adjusters?
It's slightly lower up front so I might try some spacers up top before going to a different setup. I really like the CR/swift combo though, the feel is just about perfect.

Those pics show the setup at -2.5 front and -3.4 rear. It was an experimental setting just to see what I needed to dial it in.

Do you plan on putting CR away bars on as well?
Old 04-09-2016, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sse2k
Originally Posted by jdmwol2ks' timestamp='1460259402' post='23933464
It's slightly lower up front so I might try some spacers up top before going to a different setup. I really like the CR/swift combo though, the feel is just about perfect.

Those pics show the setup at -2.5 front and -3.4 rear. It was an experimental setting just to see what I needed to dial it in.

Do you plan on putting CR away bars on as well?
Oh wow, I'm a little confused on what kind of alignment specs to set the car at to have the wheels fit after it's lowered (I will have all 4 fenders rolled), hoping I can find somebody on the forums to pt me in the right direction.

Yep i plan on buying a pair too! I actually missed out on a pair a month or two ago and am still haha, I'll get them eventually when a used pair pops up again!
Old 04-10-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice your suspension is would be my ideal set up for my daily how do you like the ride with cr suspension and swift springs?
Old 04-10-2016, 12:23 PM

Oh wow, I'm a little confused on what kind of alignment specs to set the car at to have the wheels fit after it's lowered (I will have all 4 fenders rolled), hoping I can find somebody on the forums to pt me in the right direction.

Yep i plan on buying a pair too! I actually missed out on a pair a month or two ago and am still haha, I'll get them eventually when a used pair pops up again!
I would recommend hitting up the wheel & tire forum for tips on that specific offset. As far as the settings for usage, it depends what you plan on doing with the car, daily or autox/track. Obviously, more camber helps avoid the fender, but then you experience more camber wear. It's all about finding that setting that maximizes the contact patch for driving application. Definitely check out the offset lower ball joints for the front, as the max I was able to obtain up front was -2.5 before installation. You might need more than that for clearance though.

Originally Posted by S2KiChad
Nice your suspension is would be my ideal set up for my daily how do you like the ride with cr suspension and swift springs?
The ride is vastly improved from the squishy AP2v2 combination! The CR section has a nice discussion on the exact setup. I don't daily the car so it works for my needs of weekend and mountain driving and the occasional track day. Essentially, the Spec-R springs improve upon an already dialed-in damper. I have ridden in and driven a stock CR before and after the springs, and while it is very responsive, it seemed like it is always on edge. The springs tune out some of that harshness, so it is softer over freeway bumps but still responsive and personally gave me more confidence on track during weight transfer and transitions.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:36 PM

I had a long back and forth about actually pulling the trigger on this, but I ended up bending the top two fender tabs straight up and out of the way. I figured I would rather take this precaution than leave it to chance and risk a fender grab on track in a rare countersteer event under compression. It was probably a bit overkill given the high offset up front, but I'd rather be safe. Plus it opens the door for non-staggered in the future.

Also installed two new fender liners and strakes, and currently letting the liners self-clearance.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:00 PM

Well it's been a little over 2 years since the last update, so I thought I'd share some updates!

In between the car sitting in the garage, I really haven't focused on any significant upgrades except working on detailing, and picking up a proper AWD daily (not a Subaru lol). I had been tracking the car two years on CR + Swift Spec-R springs for two years, along with the occasional weekend driving. Obtaining a dual adjustable suspension setup was in the cards, but hadn't been too much of a priority. A couple months ago, a set of KWv3s came up for sale locally, that I just couldn't pass up. After some reconditioning with new perches and set screws, they went on the car along with a fresh set of Carbotech XP10/XP8 and new centric rotors. I also picked up four KW adjustment knobs and put them on each damper with a little loctite to keep them there. I also took the opportunity to install the Hardrace RCA plates to square up the front roll center. Since it was previously on a non-height adjustable suspension I had left the plates off at the time.

Finally, I had the car corner balanced, and kept the same alignment settings as before:
Front: -2.8° camber, -6.0° caster, 0° toe
Rear: -3.0° camber, 0.15° toe each side, 0.30° total toe

Currently, the damper settings I'm running for the track are:
Compression on all corners: 3 sweeps or 3/4 turn from stiff
Rebound Front: 4 clicks or 4/6 turn from stiff
Rebound Rear: 5 clicks or 5/6 turn from stiff
(for the street, I seem to be happy with 2 more clicks softer on rebound all around, and I may tighten up everything proportionally for the next trackday)

When I took the car out on track the first time, the front was very low as is seen in the second picture below. There was a little more self clearancing on the fender liners. Since then the front of the car has been raised up just a bit, and it currently sits just a little higher than when I had the CR + Swift combo. I am very happy with the ride height, as it no longer has a rake to it and the bonus was that the front roll center is back closer to normal. I plan to take the car out for a couple more trackdays this season and continue to dial in the suspension, and hopefully drive it a bit more than last year (only 1500 miles)!