Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

//steve\\ - Round 3

Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
RCAs out back are a giant pain. Have to remove the knuckle and take it somewhere so they can be pressed out and in. Plus the added cost. We'll see.

The problem with extended top hats is the shock body diameter would need to be small enough to fit into the new top hat. These Ohlins are fairly large in diameter and definitely wouldn't fit into any extended top hat.
We can get you something custom made if you need. Just need a few measurements.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

RCAs out back are a giant pain. Have to remove the knuckle and take it somewhere so they can be pressed out and in. Plus the added cost. We'll see.

The problem with extended top hats is the shock body diameter would need to be small enough to fit into the new top hat. These Ohlins are fairly large in diameter and definitely wouldn't fit into any extended top hat.
http://www.gotuning.com/product_info...oducts_id=1068

Problem solved.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Except for the cost. $1400 for both. I'll pass.

For that extra amount I could just sell the Ohlins and get a new set of shocks with properly short rear bodies.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 PM

Except for the cost. $1400 for both. I'll pass.

For that extra amount I could just sell the Ohlins and get a new set of shocks with properly short rear bodies.
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it until it actually becomes a problem.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 PM

^That's my plan. For street driving it's not really an issue....just planning for autocross and track time if I get any.

Here is my concern with the extended top hat idea. If you look at the pic below you can see just how short the shock shafts are even fully extended. I have a feeling to get what I want I'd have so little droop that it would take nothing to lift a wheel in a hard corner.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 PM

^That's my plan. For street driving it's not really an issue....just planning for autocross and track time if I get any.
It would probably only start to be a major concern if you started using super grippy tires with lower spring rates wouldn't it?

Edit: Ahh yeah I see.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my concern with the extended top hat idea. If you look at the pic below you can see just how short the shock shafts are even fully extended. I have a feeling to get what I want I'd have so little droop that it would take nothing to lift a wheel in a hard corner.

img]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/suzukas2000/IMG_3588.jpg[/img]
How much length is left in height adjustment with the lower mount?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 PM

Actually the most idea thing to do would be to have replacements for the lower fork in the rear. The area circled in green is just taking up valuable space. If that space could be cut down it would take care of lots of problems all at once. And those lower forks are simply bolted to the lower body section I see at least 3/4" to be cut down and that would be a fairly solid gain.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by GT Motoring II
Originally Posted by //steve\\' timestamp='1364331966' post='22430308

img]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/suzukas2000/IMG_3588.jpg[/img]
How much length is left in height adjustment with the lower mount?

Are you talking of going up or down? If down I already have the bodies threaded down until they bottom out.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:36 PM

Exhaust got installed tonight. I'll never enjoy removing the OEM exhaust. Wayy too many hangers. Now I just need I adjust the muffler a but to make it sit centered in the bumper. I think switching two of the hangers around will take care of it.

Quick Reply: //steve\\ - Round 3