Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

//steve\\ - Round 3

Old 02-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice pieces! Can't wait to see you get the ball rolling on this thing! Still think you should keep the hardtop, but I understand the top down goodness that is the s2000 as well. That top's worth nearly 25% of the car without it LOL.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

The top is still at my house so it's only too late to change my mind when it's on someone else's car.

I can't wait to get the ball rolling either. I wish keeping the top and doing all of the other things I want was a good option but I'd just have to pass on so many other things in order to keep the top.

I'd rather have a soft top and wheels, more suspension goods, brakes, new seat, etc than have a bone stock hard top s2k with Ohlins. I'll have a more enjoyable car with the money I can get for the top and like I said before I'm building this car to be enjoyable to drive, not enjoyable to look at. There isn't really a huge benefit to the HT for how I'll use the car.

I know most guys just say save money and get the other stuff slowly especially because most of the other items are lower $ amounts but it would take me years to do all of those things and I'll honestly get bored with the car if I can't tinker sooner than later.

Like I said, no money is in my hand for the top yet so things could change.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 AM

This is a picture of my first s2000 when it was at my favorite stage. When I think about what I want to do with the car I always think of this picture. So much fun on the street. More than enough fun at autocross. As bad as I wish it was it's not a track car and probably won't be. Just don't have the time and money. Pointless to build the car as if it would be when I could do other things to make it more enjoyable for how it will spend 99% of it's time. Just trying to keep it real.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Loved that photo for a long time
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 AM

The way I look at the whole HT things is let's assume I never get to spend another penny on the s2k. Which would I rather have? The car pretty much stock with coilovers and a HT or loaded with a bunch of other fun parts. The answer is an easy one for me.

Lots of reasons I've gone back and forth though. Realistically I'll have money to spend on the car as time goes now. It won't be money like I used to have to spend but I'll still be able to tinker some. One of the things I really did want to do with this car though was make it as light as possible and keeping the HT and ditching the soft top is definitely the way to go. The car a good bit lighter when the HT is removed. Plus I like the way it looks

Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good idea on selling the HT. If you don't need the HT, you are better off in getting parts that you will actually use (like you mentioned).
Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

I myself am just not a fan of driving top down, it's probably because I'm a big person (6'1 210lbs) so I feel like I'm sitting on the car rather than in the car, lol. Plus I adore the look of the S2000 with an OEM top.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 AM

This was one of my other favorite soft top pictures. This was the Silverstone AP2 not too long before I sold it.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by fernando.
I myself am just not a fan of driving top down, it's probably because I'm a big person (6'1 210lbs) so I feel like I'm sitting on the car rather than in the car, lol. Plus I adore the look of the S2000 with an OEM top.
I'm a tad bigger 6' 220lb ( read rounder ) than you too which does kind of make me feel the same way but the car will get another Recaro and then you really do feel like you sit in it. I sit so low with the Recaro that my head is at the same level or below the factory roll hoop. Totally transforms the way the car feels. I'll never own an s2000 that doesn't have a lowered bucket seat.

I was probably a tad skinnier in this picture but still just as tall. This was early on in my s2k days.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 PM

After lots and lots of thinking and being so on the fence I've decided to hold off on selling the HT for now. These things keep getting more and more expensive and like others have pointed out it's easily one of the single largest dollar items you can buy.

It's highly likely I change my mind by the end of the weekend so we'll see.

Quick Reply: //steve\\ - Round 3