California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Anyone here do Tai Chi? (or parents)

Old 11-12-2007, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here do Tai Chi? (or parents)

Tai Chi Tournament

But seriously,.. was looking for a good resource (Video/Book).

Don
Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 PM

OMG.. gross and funny...
Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Former Moderator

what the
Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 PM

Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 PM

You sure that wasn't Chai Tea masters?

What are you looking for in a Tai Chi Chuan resource? I could probably recommend something. Most Tai Chi Chuan books and DVDs out there are utter rubbish.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by LEE72,Nov 12 2007, 09:55 PM
You sure that wasn't Chai Tea masters?

What are you looking for in a Tai Chi Chuan resource? I could probably recommend something. Most Tai Chi Chuan books and DVDs out there are utter rubbish.
I know nothing. I would like some thing that is fairly slow and easy to understand. On the other hand I don't want a watered down American version either. Anything authentic, but easily understood/followed? Need some exercise mind and body.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might want to look into aikido as well. soft style that works on developing ki or chi. locks and throws similar to jujistu,judo,hapkido,kuksulwon but soft style. all about leverage and movement not strength. whether its tai chi or any other art, going to an actual class is best.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:33 AM

My uncle did Aikido, great martial art. Very focus on MIND and body, as apposed to just fighting styles like Karate etc...
Old 11-13-2007, 12:29 PM

I agree that at best, a book or DVD can only serve as a supplementary resource. Internal martial arts, such as TaijiQuan are based on highly sophisticated body mechanics, and cannot be learned simply by copying from a book or DVD. If learned that way, you will only be doing the choreography.

The problem is finding a good teacher. Most TaijiQuan teachers out there (I will go so far as to say 80-90%) are no good. And it doesn't matter if this is in the U.S. or in China. TJQ has largely become a "dead" art i.e. most of the knowledge of how to pass the goods down has been lost/watered down. Furthermore, TJQ as an effective martial art is also pretty much dead, hence the general lack of respect for TJQ as anything other than old peoples' early morning exercise / hippie activity.

I'm assuming that you don't really have any interest in the combative/self-defense aspects of TJQ, but rather the meditative and unification of mind and body side. That's great, as I feel that it has a lot to offer anyone in this regard. The main caveat though, is that TJQ or any internal martial art has to be learned and practiced correctly, with emphasis on the proper concepts and principles in order for people to derive the maximum benefit that these arts were created for. In my experience, this is simply not the case almost anywhere.

In the vast majority of TJQ classes you will find sole emphasis on learning and performing forms. Students simply ape the external movements, do them slowly and feel "groovy". They are not taught the correct structural alignments, proper relaxation, and proper energy flow. Worse still, are the misconceptions of magical powers, and delusions of invincibility that are sometimes wrapped up in these arts.

So, how to find a teacher? I would say, find someone who has a well-rounded curriculum, that includes basic exercises and qigong in addition to forms. Find a teacher who is willing to teach by touch. These are arts where a lot of transmission is by feel. Too many teachers don't touch their students for lack of confidence in their abilities. Steer well clear of "guru" types. There are way too many of those and their sycophantic followers.

Since you live in Hollister, Palo Alto may be too far for you. I know a good group that trains there. If I can answer any questions, let me know.

Adrian
Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 PM

teachers abound every morning at daybreak in the park in front of the hilton in SF's chinatown, and the lake merrit bart station in oakland. theyre free too. just get in line and follow along. ive been out here a few times.

Quick Reply: Anyone here do Tai Chi? (or parents)