California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Best Dealership to Purchase/Install Hardtop?

Old 05-17-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Dealership to Purchase/Install Hardtop?

Hello Bay Area S2K'ers,

I just bought my 2001 Silverstone. I'm in Mountain View and I want to buy the Honda hardtop, but don't have the time to install it myself. I called up Larry Hopkins Honda in Sunnyvale and they said it would take a month to order the hardtop. Then I called Anderson Honda in Palo Alto and they said there is a hold on all hardtop orders. Which dealership is telling the truth?

Also, can anyone give feedback on these two dealerships? Are they reputable? Is there another Honda dealership in the Bay Area I should be dealing with? Would it be better to order the hardtop myself from www.hardtopguy.com, Flagship Honda in Arizona (via Ebay), or just let a dealership order it for me? I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2006, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flagstaff Honda seems to have the best pricing at the moment, I would go with them. It isn't hard to install the hardtop yourself, it will probably only take you a Saturday afternoon...
Old 05-17-2006, 08:55 PM

I'm unsure about installing the hardtop myself. I have printed out the instructions for the 2001's and opening up the middle console to intstall the defroster switch does seem a little complicated.

You think if I buy the kit from Flagstaff Honda that a dealership here would install it for me?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 PM

Dealer charges a lot for a hardtop install. I just recently installed mine. All you need is about 1-2 hours, some tools, and a helping hand

It's not as hard as you think. If you need help just ask around, or I can help you if you want
Defroster switch was the easiest part
Old 05-17-2006, 10:04 PM

He's right, the hardtop install is simple, even with or without the Japanese instructions. I almost paid $400 to have it installed, then decided to try it myself. I was done 1 1/2 hours later.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm positive that a local dealer would install the hardtop for you even if you bought it from Flagstaff Honda. It might even work out easier for you to ship the hardtop directly from Flagstaff to the local dealership. Remember, the hardtop comes via freight in a gigantic cardboard box. It's not easy to transport it yourself.

The dealership would charge you a few hundred dollars for labor. Call around for some quotes...
Old 05-18-2006, 12:35 AM

i am not an expert welder but overall the hardtop install is straightforward.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:21 AM

Order the HT and do it yourself. I believe honda charge like 400-500 to do a simple job. Berry easy if i can do it! everyone can.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:54 AM

I can do the install. I have done it numerous times to a few repeat customers.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:21 AM

I looked at the instructions again and it's ten pages! This install requires pulling off almost every internal panel in the car. I think it's a little too involved for me. I guess no noe here has any good experiences with the service departments in the Bay Area?

Quick Reply: Best Dealership to Purchase/Install Hardtop?