California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Can anyone here teach how to ride

Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

msf is much easier than the dmv test, i suggest you look at different locations if you dont want to wait, i know the SF one is always packed, try ssf, sj, benecia, etc...
Old 07-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Banned

I've been riding since I was about 11, I'm now 22. My only transportation is currently a motorcycle. I never took the MSF, and have never had a serious accident. My dad and uncles pretty much told me "Here's the clutch, here's the brakes, 1st gear is at the bottom. Don't die, have fun." I started on a Honda Trail 90 and have ridden everything from Harleys to crotch rockets.

Don't let your ego make decisions when you're riding, let your skill level dictate things. Also, please don't go buy a supersport bike as your first bike. Get something cheap that runs good.

Buying a supersport aka crotch rocket for your 1st bike is a bad idea because they're difficult to ride, plain and simple. If you like the looks of the SS bikes, check out the Honda CBR250 and Kawasaki Ninka 250. Or do what I'd really recommend, and buy something off Craigslist.

As far as the DMV test goes... Does CA have a permit you can get? I think the classes are great for someone in your position. I come from a family of motorcycle riders, and was lucky enough to have old trail bikes to learn on, and it seemed like I always knew someone with a bigger/faster bike I could move up to. I didn't even own my own bike until I was 19.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by vividracing.com
"Here's the clutch, here's the brakes, 1st gear is at the bottom. Don't die, have fun."
dude, i LOL'd... that's what my dad told me!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I learned on a tiny little 80 CC dirtbike, after that I was able to ride a 1972 125CC beater. It's nice to practice on lightweight small dirtbike. I recommend that route.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:25 PM

If you can take the MSF course, def wait because it's BY FAR the easiest, safest way to learn to ride and get your M class.

Idk about buying a <500cc as your first bike. I've had friends who did this and they regretted it because they got bored of it, fast. And then they had to wait until someone bought their old bike to buy a bigger bike. They're great to learn on and build your confidence but withing 2 months you'll be itching for something bigger.

I have the legs of a 5 foot tall person and my first bike was a 2004 Suzuki SV650, standard. Barely touched a tread on my shoe to the floor but if you're determined enough, you'll pick it up fast.

I'd be willing to help you learn so you can practice riding but there's no way anyone can teach you enough to pass the DMV test.

Haha, here's a lesson I learned the hard way: The front tire must be straight if you want to bring the bike to a stop.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by pikababy
If you can take the MSF course, def wait because it's BY FAR the easiest, safest way to learn to ride and get your M class.

Idk about buying a <500cc as your first bike. I've had friends who did this and they regretted it because they got bored of it, fast. And then they had to wait until someone bought their old bike to buy a bigger bike. They're great to learn on and build your confidence but withing 2 months you'll be itching for something bigger.

I have the legs of a 5 foot tall person and my first bike was a 2004 Suzuki SV650, standard. Barely touched a tread on my shoe to the floor but if you're determined enough, you'll pick it up fast.

I'd be willing to help you learn so you can practice riding but there's no way anyone can teach you enough to pass the DMV test.

Haha, here's a lesson I learned the hard way: The front tire must be straight if you want to bring the bike to a stop.
a lot of my friends told me that as well.....they started on a 250 and swapped it out for a bigger bike.

i started on a 09 r6 as my first bike. havent had any accidents or dropped my bike. i guess it depends on how comfortable you are.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pikababy

How do you figure the front tire MUST be straight? I stop with my bars turned all the time. Unless you mean an emergency stop... That's a whole different story. Pro-Tip: ALWAYS use BOTH brakes, that way when you have to stop in an emergency, it's 2nd nature to use both brakes. I've seen a lot of people panic and only grab the front. A friend of mine went over his bars @ 40ish mph when we were young because of this.

OP: Do NOT buy a bike that you're too small for, trust me. I dropped my dads Harley Street Bob because it was just a TINY bit too big for me. btw- here's his tank and fenders. He paid almost twice what they're charging now... Imagine how scared I was to tell him

Also, as far as buying a small bike to learn on... I've seen 250cc bikes sell in as little as a few hours. Everyone that wants to learn how to ride safely starts on a 250cc. They sell FAST.

Read this thread for an HONEST journal of a new riders experiences.

Originally Posted by aww_shiet
Originally Posted by vividracing.com' timestamp='1311883963' post='20825400
"Here's the clutch, here's the brakes, 1st gear is at the bottom. Don't die, have fun."
dude, i LOL'd... that's what my dad told me!
Hey, it seems to have worked. I've had no major incidents, and a lot of the bikes I've ridden were definitely not beginner bikes. CBR600RR, GSXR750 (both modded), various choppers (most handled terribly), even an OOOLLLDD Indian with a suicide shifter. The easiest bikes to ride are the ones you don't have to "think" about.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cpaforever
hey guys,

i know this post doesn't fit very well in the S2ki, but i still would like to give it try because this is HOME.

I want to get my Motorcycle license real bad, but all the local MSF are booked up until mid August. I'm sure a lot of people know how to ride here.
my question is is someone from the SF area could teach me the basics of riding? i will pay for the coaching. (i am a very fast learner, probably would take no more than a couple hours to learn enough to pass the license)

please let me know
thanks much

Take the MSF class!!

2 weeks to mid-August is not long to wait. I learned so much in the MSF course I took in Virginia. We had excellent instructors and the course was really fun. I've been riding a Harley for about 6 years now. After I took the course and got my M class license, I rode a lot with some experienced riders to gain confidence. Looking back, I wouldn't have done it any other way.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ultimately taking the class or learning on your own is a matter of your own confidence and your own ability to pick it up quickly. Some people need or prefer the structured environment of the class, especially if you don't currently own or have access to a bike. I opted to learn on my own and take the DMV test, which I barely passed.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you want my spot in the MSF course on Saturday? If so, PM me. Thanks. Saturday classroom, next Saturday/Sunday rider training. This is in Santa Clara (Mission College).

Quick Reply: Can anyone here teach how to ride