California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

First Autocross...

Old 03-25-2001, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my first autocross today at 3Com park. It was quite an experience and I learned a couple of surprising things about my car. First was that it doesn't take much to slide the rear end out, and secondly, it is fairly easy to control the rear end when it does slide. I didn't notice the "snap-oversteer" that people usually talk about, but then again, I wasn't going particularly fast. The car kind of felt like a large go-kart. It just handled so awesome. I now have at least a better idea of where the limits of the car are now so next time I blast through highway 9 and 84, I'll be in more control than in the past. Hehe.

Anyways, if any of you really want to learn car control and want to have a good, safe time doing it, I highly suggest you come out and autocross. There were 4 other S2000s that ran today (I didn't run with them, I ran in OSP with my friend) and there were 2 other S2000s that came and watched. I suggest you get your SCCA license ASAP so you can run the next race at Golden Gate Fields on April 22. There are also autocrosses at Sacramento and Stockton before then, but that's kinda far for me.

Here's the website: http://www.sfrscca.org/index.phtml

On a side note, I'm going to sign up for the Street School at Thunderhill in June this week. This will probably fill up very soon so if you want to come, you should reserve a spot too.

Chris
01 Yellow S2000
Old 03-26-2001, 06:31 AM
rlp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to second the endorsement for autocrossing. I was one of the four s2000's that ran in the AS group (actually AS-N). I would like to reiterate the need to be a card carrying scca member to participate. If you are not a member, you can join at the event, but you will not be allowed to participate until your card comes in the mail. I joined online, and got my card in about one week. There are other autocrosses that do not require you to be an scca member, but san francisco does. Hope this avoids any disapointments.