No Problemo!
58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Glazed brake pads after Laguna

Old 01-22-2002, 05:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had 'em... My fluid seems okay.
Both were stock.

I had the pads scrubbed and left the fluid and rotors (which may also be *slightly* glazed). Seems a lot better.

Who else had brake ussues? (Jerry I know you're out there... what was the verdict? Pads AND Fluid?)

(VERDICT COMES BELOW and is: Next time I run with Panther Plus & Super Blue )
Old 01-22-2002, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My front pads were toast. Fluid toast. (Of course all brake stuff stock) I heated my brakes up so much that I could barely get my lugnuts off. And they were only torqued to 85ft-lbs!!!
Old 01-22-2002, 05:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RWD_RCKT
[B]My front pads were toast.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:38 PM
pll

No problems here. But I was running Panther Plus pads and Motul RBF 600. Laguna Seca is hard on brake pads. Yeah and yu888 broke my 1/2" to 3/8" drive converter trying to remove his lugs
Old 01-22-2002, 06:42 PM

No problems with panther plus and super blue. Of course, I may not have been braking as hard as some of the people out there, but Jason Saini gave my brakes a good workout during my first session, which he drove in my car. Great demo!

cal
Old 01-22-2002, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think I have any problems, pedal feel is still good, pads stop me on a dime and fluid looks good. I was using those dusty squeaky Panther Plus pads with Motul RBF600 Brake fluid. I flushed the fluid prior to Laguna.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:17 PM

Pretty sure I glazed my pads. I notice it takes a lot more pedal effort until my brakes heat up, then everything seems fine. Wish I could have made it to Ed's last weekend to see how it is done!

FYI - Everything stock as the car is '02 with only 1800 miles.

Jimbo
Old 01-23-2002, 04:11 PM

Just an interloper from the Pacific Northwest here...

I'm pretty sure Jerry said he glazed his pads a boiled his fluid; I guess his drive home was a little scary (he drove seperately from RT and us). I think he's now on different fluid, but still the stock pads; maybe he'll chime in here.

I don't remember Ray mentioning any problems; I think he was using Panther Plus and ATE SuperBlue.

My Porterfield R4S pads and Motul RBF600 fluid held up fine, although I wasn't as hard on the brakes as some drivers. I subscribe to the 'work your way up to 10/10ths gradually' school of track days. Next time I run Laguna Seca, though, look out brakes!

Ted
Old 01-24-2002, 08:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Tedster
(snip...)
I'm pretty sure Jerry said he glazed his pads a boiled his fluid; I guess his drive home was a little scary (he drove seperately from RT and us). I think he's now on different fluid, but still the stock pads; maybe he'll chime in here.
(...snip...
I'm pretty sure Jerry had problems too (his 56 diaper changes... hence the mention in the orig post) but I wanted to see what the final diagnosis was.

I'm interested in the replies. The problems were all (I think) on stock pads and fluid. I'm not surprised but this is showing what I thought we should know... how important good track pads (and to a lesser extent, fluid) are.

I'll now have to sort through all the "which pads are better" posts to pick my new track pads.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Tedster
Just an interloper from the Pacific Northwest here...

I don't remember Ray mentioning any problems; I think he was using Panther Plus and ATE SuperBlue.

My Porterfield R4S pads and Motul RBF600 fluid held up fine, although I wasn't as hard on the brakes as some drivers. I subscribe to the 'work your way up to 10/10ths gradually' school of track days. Next time I run Laguna Seca, though, look out brakes!

Ted
Laguna Seca is hard on breaks, I was driving maybe 7/10ths the whole day. I cannot really remember slamming the breaks more than a few times. I was taking it "easy" if you will. I certainly wasn't tossing the car around like it was an autocross...

The 56 diapers changes were the direct result of having almost zero braking ability and drving 1,123miles home along the ungodly breaking intensive Highway 101. Not to self: that was seriously stupid. Redwood trees + 400ft drops + no breaks =

I was too lazy to do the work when I got home. I had Bellevue Honda swap the fluid out with some Motul I had laying around, and put on the Earl's stainless steel lines I've got laying around. The pads were screwed, but I had a second set of stock pads in my spare parts bin. I got a hefty discount on the labor, but the service manager freaked when he found out I was replacing the stock lines. By the way, the stock S2000 break lines are $118 a piece!!! A set of aftermarket lines costs the same as one stock break line.

Anyhow, the work came out ok, and the car did better than ever at the Autocross on Sunday.

On a side note, my painted calipers survived without any of the predicted bubbling.

Quick Reply: Glazed brake pads after Laguna