California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

gopro mounts

Old 12-30-2012, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gopro mounts

Hey guys, I'm new to the gopro scene. My gf got me the hero 3 silver for Christmas and I wanted to try mounting it outside the car. Problem is, I don't know what mount to use for the outside of the car and also if it can stay stuck to the outside even on very bumpy roads. Can anyone recommend the right one from the numerous mounts that the gopro has? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:21 AM

I don't have one but I would assume the suction cup and it should be pretty stable on any part that's smooth
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anywhere that's somewhat flat: door, fender, rear quarter panel, trunk, hood, windshield, window
Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Community Organizer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

I put mine on the CR wing once and it mounted just fine. Anywhere flat is good.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:47 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

GoPro you say, I know a thing or two about GoPro mounting

The suction mount (http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/suction-cup) is a must have, so many ways to use it on any car. If mounted properly on a clean, flat, dry surface, it won't be coming off. It is rated for speeds of 150+ mph, they have tested it on airplanes. I have done 120+ with the camera mounted in various locations with no issues at all. Bumpy roads are definitely not an issue at all in terms of keeping the camera mounted with the suction mount, getting the car airborne is also ok with the suction mount.

Another option that I have been using recently is the Modifry windscreen mount ($40 or so) which will require the GoPro tripod mount (which is very cheap - http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/tripod-mount). This mounting position using the 1080p Medium field of view is pretty perfect on the S2000. With one huge downside of the sound being total shit when mounted here. You will pick up nothing but nasty boomy rattles with the GoPro in the standard water proof housing. I actually use an external Tascam sound recorder that I put in the passenger cargo net, starting and stopping the camera, and recorder separately, and syncing sound later, easy in something like Final Cut Pro X or various other editing software. You can also get the skeleton housing for the camera, and wire in an external mic or sound recorder. That would be a great option if you plan to use the windscreen mount where you obviously won't be driving top down in wet weather. A decent external mic could be had for $30 or so, and mounting it in the cargo net should work well, and obviously no syncing required. I use a sound recorder because I use it for many other things as well.

I think with a little time spent adding some rubber stoppers to the lower and upper glove box lids to remove some of the extra play, you could definitely improve the sound quality but with the normal GoPro housing the rattles are directly sent into the housing, with the mic in the housing it is like putting your ear up to a table and tapping on it, every little rattle is intensified. Wind noise also gets intensified for the same reason.

Modifry windscreen mount (day) medium FOV:

Modifry windscreen mount (night) medium FOV:

Suction mount (mounted right between windshield washer nozzles) wide FOV:

You can also mount it directly to your own face! But this mounting method is top secret, this is before I started using the external audio recorder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKEtPP1WbUg&hd=1
Feel free to PM me if you want to see or hear some example videos.
The following users liked this post:
S2K VINCE (07-21-2023)
Old 12-30-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Suction cup or the 3m mounts are Rock solid on high speed bumpy roads. Pick one up.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those suction cup mounts are super durable. I used mine on various areas of Blue's car earlier this year even on the quarter panel and fender.. It also made it through him going off track.

I used the 3m mounts in my grill but upside down and I select the option to flip the picture before mounting it upside down. Another spot out of sight is also on the bottom of the bumper on the black plastic that flaps underneath between the exhaust. I don't care for leaving those things visible after having them on my motorcycle a while back.

When using the suction cup though for extra assurace I would clean it with alcohol wipes every 2-3 times to make sure there is no dirt/debris you don't see that might cause it to come loose.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:14 PM

Here's a video I made showing different angles of the GoPro mounts on an s2000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZHsjUzkInk
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Went and picked up the suction cup at bestbuy and I happen to see a black edition there on their open box sale area. Bought it and going to check it out later if that floor model has damages. Does anyone have any horror stories of their gopro falling off the car while driving?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by madmaxblaster
Thanks for the info guys. Went and picked up the suction cup at bestbuy and I happen to see a black edition there on their open box sale area. Bought it and going to check it out later if that floor model has damages. Does anyone have any horror stories of their gopro falling off the car while driving?
Nope, I've never had it fall off ever. Logged hundreds and hundreds of freeway and touge videos. I trust the windshield suction mount the most.

Quick Reply: gopro mounts