California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Honda Security System

Old 01-24-2001, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I'd ask this of the local boys...

I just purchased my S2000 - got it stock with no dealer options. Unfortunately, without an alarm I'm terrified to leave it any place where it's out of my sight for more than a minute (except work, which is relatively safe).

How is the Honda security system? I can get it cheap through handa-accessories.com, including the optional hood switch. I'm not so technically minded when it comes to cars, so I'd take it to one of the local dealerships to have it installed. It just seems like a better idea than buying an alarm at the Good-Guys, or any other independent alarm reseller/installer, and having them install it - at times I seriously doubt their competence.

Is everyone happy with the Honda security system? Any recommendation on a dealer service shop to get this installed at?

Thanks in advance...

-landru
Old 01-24-2001, 03:02 AM

I can't speak for the US system as I don't know the specs but I can say that the UK standard fit Thatchum Catagory 1 alarm system is very good. If the US system is the same then it must be the way to go.
Old 01-24-2001, 07:40 AM

I used to sell alot of security systems for cars when I owned and managed a shop. The Honda security system is a fine quality basic alarm system. For most people, it is all they need. It easily integrates into the car and allow you to use the existing remotes. The Honda system covers entry points, but I do not believe it has an impact sensor. However, since we own a roadster with a cloth top, there are other concerns that the alarm system does not cover.
For additional coverage, I would recommend an aftermarket alarm system from a manufacturer that specializes in alarms. These alarms will have more available features.

If you are really concerned about:
1) People reaching in when the top is open, or cutting the top and reaching - get a 2 stage proximity sensor which will sense movement inside the area of sensetivity it is set for. You can cover a small "bubble" for interior coverage, and a wider area to warn people away from the outside when they are too close. (the security system needs to be set up for such a warning)
2) Wheel theft- In addition to wheel locks, you may want to get one with an impact or ultrasonic sensor. The first is self explanatory, the second picks up hi frquency noises such as metal-on-metal, breaking glass etc.

Ask a qualified aftermarket alarm company to get more details. Good luck.

ps- Personally, I've given up and just leave my car unlocked so no one will damage the top. I leave nothing of value in the car or trunk. The glove box is always locked. And I just don't drive it to places that I think are remotely questionable, or at least I try not to.
Old 01-24-2001, 09:55 AM

i just stayed w/ stock alarm b/c if someone REALLY wants to get my car, they'll do it. but I agree the best defense is to keep your car out of the ghettos!!!
Old 01-24-2001, 10:18 PM

Thanks guys,

I'll go with the stock alarm - having read numerous posts on this topic I believe it's all I'll need. Yes, I could get a sophisticated alarm system with proximity settings, but I don't think it's worth it. I wouldn't keep anything of value in the car so that's not really a concern. I just want something to give your average thief a moment of pause and let me sleep a little sounder at night. If someone is really set on stealing the car there's little I can do to stop them.

I see Larry Hopkins Honda was given 4 stars in the database of local service shops - I'll try them for the install.

-landru
Old 01-26-2001, 01:16 PM

I have the Honda stock alarm. I also agree with everyone else's comments about staying out of the bad parts of town and not leaving valuables in plain view. Additionally, the Honda system has a glass breakage detector with a sensitivity dial. The manual says that it is a microphone which is tuned to identify sounds of breaking glass, the sensitivity of which is controlled by the dial. So, I believe that part 2 of YU888's comments above are satisfied with the Honda alarm. Although breaking glass isn't necessarily the best way to break into one of our cars... it wasn't this feature that sold me on the alarm, albeit a nice one.

Landru, I bought my car at Hopkins and had them install the alarm. They did a superb job. It is quite a lot of work to get it all done, including the removal of multiple panels, and lifting the driver's seat out, etc. I could not tell that they even did it [except for the fact that I now have a nice LED near the emergency brake].

You get new key pads and are supposed to toss the old ones b/c unlocking the doors with the old pads obviously won't disable the alarm system. You still have the ability to pop the trunk but the new keypads say 'option' on that button instead of having a little trunk icon.

Overall, I'm happy with it. If anything, it provides the owner with a bit more comfort. It certainly adds to the difficulty of stealing the car [the ignition system already has some theft deterrence built into it]. And, anyone who decides they want to reach in and try and open the trunk or one of the doors will get a little wake-up call. Whether it actually does anything to prevent theft of stuff inside could be debated, especially with the top down. That is when an aftermarket alarm with the proximity sensor would add good value...

-DD-
Old 01-26-2001, 10:26 PM

Thanks dillehay,

I just received the shipment from handa-accessories.com. I bought the security unit plus the optional hood switch.

I'm glad to hear Hopkins Honda did a good install - I'm worried about anyone touching my car. I've set up an appointment for next week. How long did it take for them to finish?

You're right about it not protecting theft of items inside, but considering there's so little storage room, I won't be worrying about that....I never keep valuables in my car.

-landru
Old 01-26-2001, 11:58 PM

It only took about 3 hours to do the job although I didn't get the hood switch. I don't imagine that will be a time consuming component.

Happy locking.

-DD-
Old 01-31-2001, 08:05 PM

How much is Hopkins charging for the install? Has anyone compared this to how much an aftermarket system costs?
Old 02-01-2001, 12:05 PM

Landru,

Have you gotten the alarm installed yet? What service advisor are you working with? What was your opinion of him/her?

Thanks,

-DD-

Quick Reply: Honda Security System