California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Honda Security System

Old 02-01-2001, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in response to SlickS2k,

i think an aftermarket install would be comparable, if not less expensive than the OEM unit. if you factor in the amount of time the dealer will charge you, you'll probably hit the $400-500 range, even if you get the security system from a wholesale distributor.

the benefit of going aftermarket is you usually get the proximity sensor, which isn't available with the OEM. so, i guess it boils down to how much of a hurry you're in to get a system installed, or if you like everything to be stock. most aftermarket installers are available immediately to work on the car. with the wholesale route, you still have to wait for the product, then schedule with the service dept for the work to be done.

i'm pretty happy with the clifford alarm system installed last year. it even adds the benefit of remote trunk release like the stock keyless entry system provides.
Old 02-01-2001, 11:39 PM

dillehay,

I haven't had the install done yet - I made the mistake of trying to make my appointment through their web site online. I never got a response. I finally called them yesterday and will be taking it in Wednesday morning.

I purchased the security system + the optional hood switch through handa-accessories.com for ~$320. When I called Hopkins they quoted me $65 for the install.

I'll let you know how it goes next Wednesday.

-landru
Old 02-08-2001, 11:21 PM

dillehay,

I had the alarm install done yesterday and everything went great. They seem very professional there - I was really impressed. The service advisor I worked with was Elena James. My one complaint was that they had misquoted me when I called previously. They told me it would be $65 for the install, but that was just for the optional hood switch. For the complete install it was $303! I don't mind paying the higher price, I just wished I had known that going in. She was rather apologetic about it. They also didn't give me the owner
Old 02-09-2001, 06:18 AM

That's too bad that they misquoted you. But the alarm install is fairly intrusive and tedious so I'm not surprised by the final cost. My impression is that they are thorough and do a good job. I was in there earlier this week to have them look over a few little things. I spoke with Elena James as well. Did she ask you about this board or the owners' association? I mentioned to her that we have one now.

Where was the cracked panel?

-DD-
Old 02-09-2001, 11:39 PM

Yes - she mentioned something about a club. I wasn't sure if she was referring to the site here or not. As I said, I wasn't really bothered by the misquote, it just caught me off-guard. They do seem very thorough and professional.

I'm not entirely certain what the cracked panel is...they also mentioned something about replacing a fuse. I'm supposed to go in Wednesday - I'll be sure to ask them plenty of questions as I want to know exactly what they're doing. It's covered under warranty at least...
Old 02-10-2001, 08:15 AM

$303? Ouch, is that what it runs these days? I guess thats about right but still...I am glad eveything worked out for you car, especially finding a cracked panel that otherwise may have never been noticed. Hopkins was really nice to me when I pulled in with questions. Glad my first impression was pretty accurate.