California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Open Autocross and/or Track

Old 04-10-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Open Autocross and/or Track

So I've been wanting to get into AutoX and eventually road course racing. The most I've done is practice donuts and back road driving(practicing heel toe) which is hardly practice. I'm not comfortable with the S2000 which is why I've been dying to get into an event to learn how to drive it. I've had the car since November 20th of last year and it's a daily driver. I've looked into SF SCCA and American AutoX but a lot of the events are out of the way. I work 5-6 days a week 12 hours a day so I'd like an event that I could just drop into when I have days off. I refuse to do any major modifications until I learn the limits and abilities of the car (I've only done the UK mod and CT Intake). Can anyone recommend other resources for intro AutoX and tips for starting out? I plan to take the car in stock for the first handful of events.

I missed the Thunderhill event back in February due to work and that was the only open track event at that time that I was aware of.

Any info, tips, pointers, and suggestions are welcome.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You're doing it right, that's what the car was built for! I didn't realize just how much potential the S2000 had until I did my first autocross.

For autoX, I like running with Trackmasters at Sonoma. They always do an autoX in the paddock on Saturdays in conjunction with their track weekends. It's a non-competitive entry-level event and is how I started out. Website: http://trackmasters-racing.com/

There are a lot of clubs in the area who run track days. I've done track days with Trackmasters/Speedventures, Hooked on Driving (HOD), and NASA. My personal favorite is NASA. The reason I like to run with NASA is because of their exceptional driver education and great club camaraderie. Nobody actually teaches better than NASA does, at least out of the clubs I've run with. You'll have an instructor in the car until you are comfortable with going solo (and the instructor sees that you're safe on track) and you have download meetings after ever session. Some people don't like NASA mainly because of higher car counts and relatively less seat time but the pros outweigh the cons for me. Try them all out and see who you like best!

I've done about 13 track days and 50+ autoX runs on my stock S2000. I started out with it totally stock besides brake fluid and Sumitomo HTR ZIII tires. The only thing I've upgraded so far are the pads to Hawk DTC-30. Mounting RE-71Rs next weekend. This car is a blast, you won't regret it!
Old 04-10-2016, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by LeonV
You're doing it right, that's what the car was built for! I didn't realize just how much potential the S2000 had until I did my first autocross.

For autoX, I like running with Trackmasters at Sonoma. They always do an autoX in the paddock on Saturdays in conjunction with their track weekends. It's a non-competitive entry-level event and is how I started out. Website: http://trackmasters-racing.com/

There are a lot of clubs in the area who run track days. I've done track days with Trackmasters/Speedventures, Hooked on Driving (HOD), and NASA. My personal favorite is NASA. The reason I like to run with NASA is because of their exceptional driver education and great club camaraderie. Nobody actually teaches better than NASA does, at least out of the clubs I've run with. You'll have an instructor in the car until you are comfortable with going solo (and the instructor sees that you're safe on track) and you have download meetings after ever session. Some people don't like NASA mainly because of higher car counts and relatively less seat time but the pros outweigh the cons for me. Try them all out and see who you like best!

I've done about 13 track days and 50+ autoX runs on my stock S2000. I started out with it totally stock besides brake fluid and Sumitomo HTR ZIII tires. The only thing I've upgraded so far are the pads to Hawk DTC-30. Mounting RE-71Rs next weekend. This car is a blast, you won't regret it!
Thanks for the great info! A long time ago back when I had an Accord I was considering NASA but I had read somewhere that SCCA was more amateur friendly. Sounds like it wasn't accurate information. Camaraderie is definitely a huge huge deciding factor (that's why I'm on this forum too). I remember seeing the name Trackmasters! Thanks for the reminder! I never knew they did a scheduled AutoX in Sonoma. That's actually very close to where I'm located so that will work out. I'm getting all excited thinking about it. Hopefully I'll see some of you s2ki members one day at the track. I'd love to get seat time under my belt like everyone else.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run autox with SFR SCCA and AAS(American AutoX) fairly regularly, either group is great to run with. Also, you'll pretty much run into all of the same people between the two. Most people are friendly and willing to help if you just ask.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by jamesac83
I run autox with SFR SCCA and AAS(American AutoX) fairly regularly, either group is great to run with. Also, you'll pretty much run into all of the same people between the two. Most people are friendly and willing to help if you just ask.
I've looked up SFR SCCA and AAS since they were the first top recommendations when I searched on the forums. The only issue is that all of the events for this year are being held in Marina and Crows. Both very far from where I live and I'm not comfortable driving that far for my few first events. I'd love to be a regular SCCA events though.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by RainyDayLeo
Originally Posted by jamesac83' timestamp='1460328353' post='23933992
I've looked up SFR SCCA and AAS since they were the first top recommendations when I searched on the forums. The only issue is that all of the events for this year are being held in Marina and Crows. Both very far from where I live and I'm not comfortable driving that far for my few first events. I'd love to be a regular SCCA events though.
Not sure where you live, but Marina is 3.5 hours for me and Crows is a relatively close 1.25 hours. And I still make a good portion of events. The first few events I ever did were 3 hours away. If I could make a recommendation, probably do Marina first as I suspect you're closer to there and the courses are generally slower. Crows is alot more real estate to play with so courses tend to be faster. Both of those places are on concrete and that tends to offer more grip than asphalt lots.

edit: just make it to an event, once you go you'll either get hooked or that its not worth the driving distance. Don't wait for a nearby event and realize you've missed half a season by being unwilling to drive an extra 30 minutes or so for the first one.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:31 PM

I like this thread. Hope to see some of you at the Sonoma events in the summer. Hope I can make the 7MAY one ... I have family visiting ...
Old 04-10-2016, 11:01 PM

Is there a Db limit at the Sonoma autocross? I've been trying to find open Db tracks up here with no luck.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Check out Speedsf and/or NCRC.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.p...art=0&rid=3113

Quick Reply: Open Autocross and/or Track