California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Planning to buy used S2000

Old 12-29-2004, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning to buy used S2000

I am very close in buying a used S2000. After months of research, buying a used S2000 from a private party will save me a few grand or so. What I am concerned about is the mileage. I have contacted several sellers off of craigslist and some are very hard to believe. For example:

2001 S2000 w/ 10k miles for $19,000. <--So this is a 3, close to 4 year old car w/ only 10k miles on it??? I'm sure this is possible but if you have a S, don't you think the owner would drive more.

So the question is: Are the S cluster swappable with another one. Lets say this owner had 50k miles on it and then they swap it with a cluster that had 10k miles on it...is it possible? Or does the S have a chip where you cannot mess w/ the odometer. I'm just worried that I might buy a S where the owner states it only has 10k miles on the car, when it actually has 35k miles ....well you get the drift. Any info will help. Reason why I ask is because I use to own a 5th gen Prelude and I know you can swap clusters to lower the mileage. BUT the S is all electronic...so maybe the owner can't tamper it.

Any info will help....thank you.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:03 PM

The milage is stored on the cluster, so you can swap them for a lower milage cluster. You might wanna run a carfax
Old 12-29-2004, 09:27 PM
ttb

10k is not that hard to believe...look at the overall condition of the car...how wore are the seats? are the pedals dirty? is the engine bay dirty? is the top faded? etc.

i put 50 miles a week on my s2000 now that I bart to work..my rx-7 i have not driven in 6 months...so if the guy doesn't commute to work or the s2000 is his second car, 10k is not hard to believe at all.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not hard to believe. a lot of folks has it as a 2nd car. mine's a 00 and only has 18kmiles.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:16 AM

with those guys. definitely run a CARFAX. for most people, their S2K isn't the primary use car, so it doesn't surprise me that the car would only have so many miles on it.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:59 AM

carfax should give you some answers.

BTW, my MY00 had 16,000 when I bought it a year ago.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:13 PM
Banned

I wouldn't believe it. If the advertisement has the word "tilt steering" in it then you know it's bullshit.

I was looking at an S2000 online on cars.com and the ing idiot selling the thing was in Asia and that car was there to. He told me to send the money first and then he'll ship the car. I think not.

I would go with a used car dealership simply because the financing would be lower and you can get a warranty on the car, also get an 02-04. You'll love the glass....trust me.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:08 PM
dut

- check out my thread: CLICK HERE
Old 12-30-2004, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by BroInTheKnow,Dec 30 2004, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't believe it. If the advertisement has the word "tilt steering" in it then you know it's bullshit.

I was looking at an S2000 online on cars.com and the ing idiot selling the thing was in Asia and that car was there to. He told me to send the money first and then he'll ship the car. I think not.

I would go with a used car dealership simply because the financing would be lower and you can get a warranty on the car, also get an 02-04. You'll love the glass....trust me.
Thanks for all the input guys. As for the "tilt steering," I got an idiot telling about the extra feature in the S. And I also got an e-mail from a seller saying he was selling his S, but was in Asia. All I needed to do was send him $5k for deposit and he will be back in San Jose next month. I'm like sure.....I'll send you $5k and a boot up your ass! <--and he never replied back....LOL

Anyhow, I guess it is possible to have very low mileage for a S. I had a 5th gen prelude and added close to 100k miles in 4 years. If I do get a S, it'll be my primary car....but if I can keep insurance and expenses down then I'll keep my Accord for commuting.

Hopefully Carfax can track the mileage of the S. I don't want the seller screwing me over.

And thanks Dut for the link. But I am trying to stick away from Black. I'm really looking for White, Suzuki Blue, or maybe Red.

I hope to meet a few of you in the next meets. I'm not sure if I want to show up in my Accord to a S meet....maybe bring my fiance's Civic. hehe
Old 12-31-2004, 10:13 AM
dut

Originally Posted by AsianQing,Dec 31 2004, 12:20 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. As for the "tilt steering," I got an idiot telling about the extra feature in the S. And I also got an e-mail from a seller saying he was selling his S, but was in Asia. All I needed to do was send him $5k for deposit and he will be back in San Jose next month. I'm like sure.....I'll send you $5k and a boot up your ass! <--and he never replied back....LOL

Anyhow, I guess it is possible to have very low mileage for a S. I had a 5th gen prelude and added close to 100k miles in 4 years. If I do get a S, it'll be my primary car....but if I can keep insurance and expenses down then I'll keep my Accord for commuting.

Hopefully Carfax can track the mileage of the S. I don't want the seller screwing me over.

And thanks Dut for the link. But I am trying to stick away from Black. I'm really looking for White, Suzuki Blue, or maybe Red.

I hope to meet a few of you in the next meets. I'm not sure if I want to show up in my Accord to a S meet....maybe bring my fiance's Civic. hehe
- white is right

Quick Reply: Planning to buy used S2000