California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

S2K Days 2002

Old 04-29-2001, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it sounds like we'll be hosting next year's S2K Days and that they'll be centered around Laguna Seca (this from a hint posted in the S2K Days forum).

This gives us 12 months to come up with the best routes in the Bay Area.

Perhaps we should try to do a group drive once a month or so to check out routes and prep for mapping, etc?

I, for one, am really excited about the idea of the event being out here. Can you imagine 100 S2000s out by Mines Rd or up by Mt Veeder or Bolinas Ridge?

It's gonna be crazy!
Old 04-29-2001, 09:13 PM

Wow!!!

Just saw the pictures at Ashville. Can't believe, it's going to be in CA and close enough that I can go.

Hey, sign me up!!!
Old 04-29-2001, 09:28 PM

Can I help do the Marin County drive? I'll have my M3 by then... maybe I can be an honorary S2000 owner.

Damn, I was just admiring my car today thinking how much I'll miss it. <sniff> <sniff>
Old 04-29-2001, 10:01 PM
dbw

how about a run out thru carmel valley ? quail lodge,lots of great wineries,great roads to drive...just a thought...
Old 04-30-2001, 09:43 AM

Hey Josh...

Maybe a DB of routes? Should allow people to post a route (please people, run the route first) with (accurate) directions and then allow others to comment on and rate the route.

What do you think?

Could yield us a "top ten" list...
Old 04-30-2001, 09:54 AM

i think going out for the group drives more often would be good...
Old 04-30-2001, 12:06 PM

good ideas guys. we were doing pretty well until the last hookie day was rained out. malachi, i might make a db of just roads between a start intersection and end intersection. that way can write a db mining script to intelligently pick favorite routes by joining the segments

each segment can be commented on and rated by database users.

ratings:
  • road smoothness
  • speed
  • most common gear used
  • twistiness
  • view/beautifulness

i know what i'm doing tonight

[Edited by josh3io on 04-30-2001 at 01:24 PM]
Old 04-30-2001, 05:28 PM

suggest that you add three other attributes:
- traffic,
- challenge,
- police presence.
Old 05-03-2001, 06:37 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

A possible starting point... http://www.miatadrives.com/
Old 05-03-2001, 08:09 AM

I'll take a stab at starting a list of suggestions here (these culled from various sources as well as personal experience)...

1. Carmel Valley Road. 54 miles. Carmel to Greenfield. Long, mostly second-to-fourth gear road, not much traffic, great changing scenery. Beware cattle guards.

2. 198 from Coalinga to just south of King City. Nice central valley to lunar-landscape to coastal range scenery transitions. Some fast stuff, some fairly slow.

3. 25 connecting from 198 up to Hollister. Running along the east side of the Pinnacles, this road has excellent visibility, nice mixes of terrain, not much traffic, a smooth surface, and one or two nasty off-camber turns at the end of a series.

4. Concord to Livermore on Morgan Territory and then to Mines Road to the back of Mount Hamilton. @31 miles. Mines Road is pure driving euphoria: tight twisties coupled with excellent visibility.

5. Lucas Valley Rd in Marin. 10 miles. sweepers through nice terrain. Considered a classic (and with traffic to match on weekends).

6. Stewarts Point and Skaggs Springs Roads. Northern Marin. 50 miles. These are truly fantastic roads. 2 lanes, from grasslands to redwoods, great views, little traffic, good pavement. West of Annapolis Road is Stewarts Point, east of it is Skaggs Springs Road. Tin Barn Road intersects Stewarts Point about 5 miles from the coast.

7. Annapolis Road. Northern Marin. 14 miles. 2 lane road running from the intersections of Stewarts Point and Skaggs Springs Roads to CA 1 in Sea Ranch. This is a twisty road with good pavement, through rolling hills and forests. The only town along the route is Annapolis, and it doesn't have a gas station, though it does have one of the smallest manned post offices.

8. Skyline. 26 miles. One of the classics. CA 35 runs from 92 (between Half Moon Bay and I-280) south to CA 9 at Saratoga Gap. North of CA 84 is mostly shaded redwood forests, with lots of curves, from gentle to medium twisty. South of 84 is rolling grasslands with great views to the east.

9. Bolinas Ridge Road. Another classic. @15 miles. Northern Marin. Amazing views, nice and twisty. Can have tons of traffic on weekends (the Harley crowd in particular) but can also be nearly empty at off hours.

10. 128 from Cameron to Cloverdale. North Coast. 60 miles. This is a fantastic road. A newly paved, wide two-lane road that through varied terrain. Scenic and low-travelled, I wish all roads were this beautiful! Near the coast, the road is through redwood forests along the Navarro River. From Navarro to Cloverdale, drier, rolling hills with farms and vineyards. For most of its length, 128 is wide with gentle curves, but near Cloverdale the road is pretty twisty for a short way.

[Edited by malachi on 05-03-2001 at 04:30 PM]

Quick Reply: S2K Days 2002