California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

surfboard fit with the top up

Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by modMonkey
Originally Posted by s4play' timestamp='1335997871' post='21663998
Correct me if I'm wrong cuz I know nothing about surfboards but I would imagine a 6'2 guy would use one easily larger than a snowboard. A snowboard does not fit so no way you can fit a surfboard.

I really think if you want to do these large scale sports you need another car man....

Try taking up Ping Pong or bowling or some other sport that does not require large items
Lol. No way Rick. Surfing >> ping pong

How is that held down? I put a front bumper in my passenger seat and it would start to lift lol. Nvm about the trunk rack, that would be too wide haha.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a desk and tried ti transport it in my s with the top down. When I got home from staples every single piece of particle board was cracked. I never hit more than 40 mph. This is just a warning that wind force is very strong. I would say anything you even mount in top of the car could create wild drag or lift if not secured correctly or angled correctly.

To the OP, try making a cardboard cut out and start big and keep shortening it until you find a model size that fits. Also consider losing the hard top for the summer. If you are going to be out surfing in the sun, why not drive to the beach under the sun?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fitted my 152 snowboard in my passenger seat with the hardtop on... But not sure if a surf board would work... This should be added to the list of random shit that fits in the small cabin of a s2000
Old 05-03-2012, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by s4play
A snowboard does not fit
I fit a 158 and a 148 sized snowboards with bindings my S with the top up

I've also fitted both said snowboards with Jenn in the car (but no bindings installed) with the top up

She didn't like that though
Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 AM

How much faith do you have in suction cups?

I have a 6' 2" and a 6' 7" but I primarily ride my 9' 6" board, but thats what the truck is for.

So far I've only taken my 152 snowboard in the s2k with hardtop on and no passenger, truck was down for the weekend and I was desperate to get up to my friends cabin for a weekend of prime conditions. Luckily the cabin was 2000ft < the resort and had a pack of subarus to take me the rest of the way up so the s2k still hasn't touched snow.

ramble off/
Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 AM

thanks for the suggestions guys. hey outkast, how tight was the fit for the snowboard? i guess 158 is in cm which would make it like 5'2"?

strapping to the hardtop - don't think the oem hardtop is made to handle added weight on top. plus i'm not sure if the latches can withstand the wind pull on the board.

trunk rack - i considered this too but the board would have to go on like a big spoiler and it'd still have to be pretty short to avoid sticking out on both sides. but this is a valid option. what trunk racks have people used and recommend?

suction cups - i saw that post! i don't know if i have faith in those cups suckin' enough..

top down - that's what i used to do. unfortunately i don't have a garage to store the HT anymore and i'm a 1-person show. that makes it difficult to remove the HT and i have no place to stash it once it's off.

play ping pong - not an option..!!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 AM

Just out of curiosity, how close are you to hayward? Where do you typically go? Always room for more boards in the back of my truck. I'm always a one man show when it comes to going surfing... and it sucks. Twice as hard to get motivated to go surfing solo.

I prefer long boarding these days because I'm lazy, but some places like pleasure point on the right day could accommodate both long and short boarders.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:28 AM

i'm about 35 miles away from hayward, in cupertino. usually over at the hook or 38th, sometimes i go to the west side but only when it's really mellow out. i have a 7'6 now (my fake longboard) and i keep it at a friend's place down in santa cruz. he's been drifting away from surfing though and i need to get out more than once or twice a month..! if you want to carpoo.. i'm soooo down!!! i'm happy to split for gas too! how often do you go and where?

Originally Posted by toofarfromjune
Just out of curiosity, how close are you to hayward? Where do you typically go? Always room for more boards in the back of my truck. I'm always a one man show when it comes to going surfing... and it sucks. Twice as hard to get motivated to go surfing solo.

I prefer long boarding these days because I'm lazy, but some places like pleasure point on the right day could accommodate both long and short boarders.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by evie
hey outkast, how tight was the fit for the snowboard? i guess 158 is in cm which would make it like 5'2"?
it's a pretty tight fit with probably only a couple of inches to spare. one of these days i'll try to snap a pic for you
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by evie
play pinh pong - not an option..!!
Yes it is!
Press play on the embedded link below!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FwV0cNUV4s

Quick Reply: surfboard fit with the top up