California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

Detailing Shops

Old 10-12-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing Shops

I was wondering if you guys have a preferred detailing shop that will remove all the swirls in my paint. I kinda don't want to spend too much because I have a lot of little imperfections in my paint (rock chips, peels, etc). I understand its a 10 year old car (MY04) but while I was washing it, I thought to myself, "damn there's a lot of swirls on here". Not really familiar with techniques on buffing, waxing, etc.

Thanks in advanced!

**PS if you guys actually do have the equipment, I wouldn't mind taking the time to learn from you either. I'll pay for the session and bring beer
Old 10-12-2014, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Anthony,

Detail Maniac is pretty good. My brother in law took his 370Z Nismo there for a quote and it sounded very reasonable. If I remember, it was $200 for stage 1 detailing, next stage is $400 which includes adding a clear coat. I liked it because even the female receptionist knew about the technical details.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO
Hey Anthony,

Detail Maniac is pretty good. My brother in law took his 370Z Nismo there for a quote and it sounded very reasonable. If I remember, it was $200 for stage 1 detailing, next stage is $400 which includes adding a clear coat. I liked it because even the female receptionist knew about the technical details.
I've heard nothing but great things about them! I'm sure the service is very impressive. Funny thing is the owner of that business is the brother of my co-worker, and everyday she says, "nice car but... could be nicer without swirls".. unfortunately no discount though lol

I think if i'm going to be a cheapass about it, I should just invest in a buffer, wax, etc.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:24 PM

Okay first off. Is your coworker cute?

Yeah I think in the long term and for the sake of this hobby, it is probably more fun to invest in buffer and wax.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:34 PM

Yeah I think in the long term and for the sake of this hobby, it is probably more fun to invest in buffer and wax.
let's just say you guys are both from Hong Kong lmao
Old 10-12-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by kaotiksence
Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO' timestamp='1413170675' post='23367039

let's just say you guys are both from Hong Kong lmao
Okay she might stand a chance.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:29 AM

"Hong Kong"? I always preferred mandarin over cantonese but I prefer longer body styles. Finally settled on a Japanese model made in the U.S. with a removable top. So Kevin, are you looking to trade in or pay cash? You thought I was brave for passing on the dotted line....
Old 10-13-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by DanBurke
"Hong Kong"? I always preferred mandarin over cantonese but I prefer longer body styles. Finally settled on a Japanese model made in the U.S. with a removable top. So Kevin, are you looking to trade in or pay cash? You thought I was brave for passing on the dotted line....
Mandarin over Cantonese? You meant the Mainland China type? lol No thanks.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by DanBurke' timestamp='1413217778' post='23367562
Mandarin over Cantonese? You meant the Mainland China type? lol No thanks.
Northern China where they grow them tall. I will trust the expert
Old 10-13-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by kaotiksence
I was wondering if you guys have a preferred detailing shop that will remove all the swirls in my paint. I kinda don't want to spend too much because I have a lot of little imperfections in my paint (rock chips, peels, etc). I understand its a 10 year old car (MY04) but while I was washing it, I thought to myself, "damn there's a lot of swirls on here". Not really familiar with techniques on buffing, waxing, etc.

Thanks in advanced!

**PS if you guys actually do have the equipment, I wouldn't mind taking the time to learn from you either. I'll pay for the session and bring beer
Detail maniac has a nice site. I am sure they would do great. They adapt their materials to the mfg of the paint so for an acura:

Acura TSX

Fully polished and received Chemical Guys BLACK treatment!
– Polished with V36 + V38 optical polishes
– 2x coats of Blacklight
– Sealed with Jetseal 109
– BLACK wax!

Obviously, orientated towards a black car. Detail Maniac seems to get most of their material from "Chemical guys". There is a real nice primer on detailing put together by the NE s2k guys in the exterior section of the s2k site. Those lucky guys don't have hard water though so ignore the air dry sections unless you are using soft water.

It appears you can get all the materials for detailing including buffer for the cost of having it done. Porter Cable buffer will run around 130, Polishes and protectants will run under 70 so...

I would practice on a daily driver and then go for it on your s2000. If your S2000 is your dd, make your mistakes on mom's car and get a free meal on the sly.

Quick Reply: Detailing Shops