California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

stripped spark plug

Old 02-20-2010, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped spark plug

Hi all I don't post here much but do stop in time to time. Here is my problem. I was driving to work in Benicia from Galt. About 2 miles from work my S2K started to sputter and barly run. I puled off to a gass station and caled for a towe to Concord honda. I just got off the phone with them and they are saying a spark plug came loose and striped 3/4 of the threads in the head. So I dont have the money to fix it right now and have made arangements to towe it to my house (U-haul trailer) where it will sit untill I can find the time to pull the head for repairs.

My question's are

1. Does any one have recmondations. ( I know you don't have all the info yeat)

2. need a machine shop to sleav and tap new threads for spark plug.

3. need a 2.2 piston kit, wile I have the engin open up might as well up grade!!

I have ben looking at the CP pistons at 11.0-1 .20 over. any coments are welcome. And any help.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 PM

I forgot you name but I do remember you from our RPM meets. You had low miles on your car right?

1. Shad at DA has a rebuilt head you may want to ask him about that. Or you can get a used long block from HAP and just swap the whole motor. Once you find out what the extent of the damage is then you can go from there. If the threads are stripped then head might be useless but once again find out the damage. You know you can check if your MY01 had the sparkplug recall done. I'm not sure what can be done since your car is way out of warranty. See if there is a way the dealer can do a "good faith" warranty if your car DID NOT have the recall done.

2. if it's 3/4 damaged I would not personally trust a helicoil to fix the head. It may be a bandaid but I would hate for the helicoil to give out and see a plug shoot through the hood.

3. Depending on budget and the extent of the damage just buy a used 2.0 or 2.2L long block from HAP or another recycler. If you decide to get a used long block lemme know and I'll try to point you to the right person to talk to at HAP.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 AM

Thanks. I am talking to a guy I know from Texas that works for BMW and he was telling me that the sleaving for a new spark plug would hold no problem as long as it was dun right.

Well monday I am going to trailer the car home. and mabe next weak I will have time to start working on it.

I need a manual for working on the S2k know where I can get one.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 AM

Just found this great parts site for the S2000 OEM parts

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/southbay/jsp/home.jsp
Old 02-21-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by CAT_101,Feb 21 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks. I am talking to a guy I know from Texas that works for BMW and he was telling me that the sleaving for a new spark plug would hold no problem as long as it was dun right.

Well monday I am going to trailer the car home. and mabe next weak I will have time to start working on it.

I need a manual for working on the S2k know where I can get one.
Yes helicoiling is okay but you have 3/4 of the threads stripped. It is a good enough fix but not necessarily permanent. You could get away w/ it but if you want to mod that motor (I think it was discussed at one of the meets), personally I wouldn't trust the helicoil because you will be stressing the "already stressed" threads.

If you keep that stock and helicoil it then you will probably be okay. If you want to mod get a new head and mod that one.

Good luck bro

Keep us updated.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:12 PM

Well I brought the car home and it is sitting in my gerage waiting for me to have the time to fix it. I have to buy new plugs, Plug wires/connectors and heli coil the head and hope it holds. O and check the cylender for debrie/clean it out. good times >

Will have video and SS soon.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:21 PM

Our cars don't have wires but coil packs (for the lack of a better word).

Did you toast one of your coil packs? If so lemme know
Old 02-28-2010, 06:16 PM

yes I did it was the #2 I tryed to explain that same thing to one of my budys. Was hard to explain I like coil packs.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:32 PM

Pics

http://dcs-mercenaries.com/Reconphotos/dis...d=33&fullsize=1

http://dcs-mercenaries.com/Reconphotos/dis...d=32&fullsize=1
Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 PM

OH SHIET!! If you need one lemme know. STEALERSHIP is $$$$$

Quick Reply: stripped spark plug