California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

2.2 swap into a 2.0 car not legal

Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2.2 swap into a 2.0 car not legal

Ive passed before with no issue but this time not so easy.
Ill go into detail later, but the smog station.....not the best!

All I could find, under replacemenrt engines.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm
Old 07-23-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldn't it be legal since you are putting an engine from a newer car into an older one?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:16 PM

Just find another station. The B17 in my old integra often got leery looks from smog techs.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 PM

^^ I will but I never thought it was illegal...he couldnt show me where it stated it and tried to justify the fail by saying it was a "kit car"
Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 PM

it probably failed because of the new system or method they use for smog testing.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:30 PM

FYI I wanted to start this thread mainly to inform myself and others..never thought of the swap as an issue.
I was even pulled over by Police on the way to the smog station and he had no issue with the swap.

He knew the difference between a 2.0 and 2.2..I was nice...he was nice and let me go.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 PM

that motor DOES NOT belong in your car. Just because that motor does come from another s2000 Doesn't mean it will pass smog without other paperwork. From my undertanding you need to take your car to the state ref and get that car BAR'd with that motors info EX. vin # You are going to have the matching 2.2 ECU. It will not pass BAR with the AP1 ecu.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450

After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.
Sounds like you can get it "permanently" legal by just egtting it inspected by the ref...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 PM

So glad my cars are registered in Arizona now. Screw California...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 AM

^^ I know!

I have no problem owning up if my car does have an illegal swap (I truly think/thought its an OK swap). His explanations as to why, I didnt buy. When I questioned why and what is legal, he said I could put a older motor in my car.....I asked him to show me where it was illigal, he couldnt at the time. 5min of searching and I came up with the above link.

From there on, I didnt trust a word he said and felt he was reaching trying to find ANY reason. He also tried to justify the fail by asking why my car is named an "s2000".... I said hold on...DO YOU know?
"Because its a 2.0." ...then why is a 2004+ STILL called an s2000??!!
I told him his reasoning was NOT relevant and made no sense...whic he did agree.. ..-_-

And it wasnt just the simple fact that he failed me on the swap, I really got pi$$ed off on how he conducted his business. Smelt like beer....smoked while working/talking to me and the best part, he would put me on the dyno, then do the visual only to fail me.....not once but twice lol

First time he put me on the dyno an all was good. Popped my hood and failed me for one hose. I had to go to the auto store and buy 6" of hose.

Put me on the dyno again, pass and then proceeds to fail me AGAIN because of the engine...WFT. Just do the visual first and dont waste my time and yours.

that motor DOES NOT belong in your car. Just because that motor does come from another s2000 Doesn't mean it will pass smog without other paperwork. From my undertanding you need to take your car to the state ref and get that car BAR'd with that motors info EX. vin # You are going to have the matching 2.2 ECU. It will not pass BAR with the AP1 ecu.
BTW, Identical defined
"having such a close similarity or resemblance as to be essenitially the equal or interchangeable."

^^ from this I would say the swap IS legal.
This why Im asking if anyone has gone through this before...these two motors are identical, but not exact.
Ive also read somewhere before that the motor can be a bigger displacement..but I cat seem to find it anywhere

Quick Reply: 2.2 swap into a 2.0 car not legal