California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

2.2 swap into a 2.0 car not legal

Old 07-27-2012, 06:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmjunkie562
Originally Posted by JDM Junkyard' timestamp='1343335327' post='21891860
to BAR a car isn't hard. You just need to learn to do it right.

I did the whole process of BAR'ing a B18C in my EK hatch and it wasn't hard at all. Buddy did a GSR in a 92 Civic SI. If you just swapped the block, you could get away with it being a 04-05 setup. If you swap motors and want to be 100% legal it's good to BAR it so cops won't mess with you.

Simplest is to make sure the emissions system is fully intact. All intakes/headers/manifolds are CARB legal with the appropriate CARB #.

If you have an AP1 and have a 2.2 block, try to BAR it as a 04-05. If you are just going for smog, don't act like you know your stuff, and play dumb is best. If you think you know more then the tech, you automatically failed. It's like some kid going up to you and saying he knows more then you at your job...

Get to know your smog guy and find one you use all the time. Smog guys don't do illegal stuff without knowing the person personally. If they get in trouble they lose their license and need to find a new career (you wouldn't want to go back to school to find a new career either).

If all else fails....get a smog hook up. FYI don't PM about smog hookups.
Back then it was a little easier since they were considered "replacement" motors, It's gotten a lot stricter. As long as the motor came from the same manufactor, same year or newer, and from the same class of vehicle, considering all the smog equipment/parts were intact which 90% of us already know from owning previous hondas. Now you can only use USDM MOTORS IE B17A1, USDM GSR, USDM SI, ECT. You'll still get hassle regardless of having a BAR legal swap, if that was the case you wouldn't been pulled over in the first place unless you were and start with the cop lol. But yeah the cop can't do much if it's bar legal he might try to site you for stupid reasons. Cops couldn't do much when I had my 92 gsr Cop: Is that a vtec motor, Me: yup but this particular trim came with it, see VIN match

Originally Posted by JDM Junkyard
First off what are you trying to do? Do you bi-annual smog? If so just go to another station. Once you go to this new station inform them you blew your motor and swapped for a new motor and wanted to check if you can smog it. If they are cool with Smog check on your car, then your golden, if not go to another who is willing to work with you.
If you are trying to be 100% legal here is the skinny.
1. You can put any newer motor into your vehicle as long as it’s not classified for a truck or SUV. Hence why a B20 can’t be installed into a civic or integra is the B20 belongs to a CRV aka SUV.
2. You can install any motor that was sold in the US and has met US emissions regulations (Primary CA emissions). AKA no SR20DET, RB26 nor any motor never sold in the states.
3. It is legal to go with a new motor aka 2.2 in a 2.0, but not legal to put a 2.0 in a 2.2. Basically no older vehicle stuff.
4. If you really want to educate yourself, pay a visit to your local referee. They can educate you on what to do to keep you legal.

I did my BAR earlier this year.
But, according to this CARB document, used Japanese engines are legal, correct? But does anybody have a link to this "engine importers catalogue"?

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htmJapanese Replacement EnginesUsed engines imported from Japan can be used as replacement engines as long as the engine being used has been identified as functionally identical to the original engine. Please refer to the engine importers catalogue to determine if a replacement engine is legal for installation in your vehicle.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:20 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The fist thing the officer asked me was if my engine was a "JDM" motor..."You know they are illegal"...me, no hahhaha

He made sure to check the engine code making sure it had 5 digits and not 4. He had no problem with my swap knowing it came with a 2.0..Im assuming its because the 2.2 and 2.0 are interchangeable/similar, just as CARB details in what is considered a legal swap.

At this point, I know what to do and not do
I just hope my experience helps others as I never had a clue to this swap being a concern to anyone.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For JDM motors, it’s pretty much legal as long as the motor was sold in the US. In other words, JDM B16 is legal, but a B16B (JDM Civic Type R motor) is not. You need to have it comparable to something in the US. Also some referees know more than others.

When I was trying to ref my car, I had a hybrid of sorts.
Pr3 head – (Integra Type R)
Pr3 intake manifold – (integra Type R)
B18C block (GSR block)
PR3 ECU – (tricky part, is it was a USDM Integra Type R OBD2B meaning it was for the 00-01 ITR only).

And I ran a B16 header with B16 (USDM 00 SI) catalytic converter and failed because the B16 cat wasn’t correct. Needs to be an ITR catalytic converter.

Overall, is if you classify it for a particular vehicle, and keep all the emissions correct you can BAR it. There is more details but if the cop isn’t giving you a ticket for it…just go find a new smog guy. A sure way to find one near you is to talk to your mechanic. Ask him who he would recommend, and advise the smog tech prior to doing anything what you have/did to your car. If he says no start searching around again for somebody to smog it.
For me, that is the biggest reason I haven’t gotten a SC for my CR(or any 06-09). There is no CARB legal kit available for the AP2. Only the Greddy turbo kit is CARB legal for the AP2. CARB pending means you need to go back to stock to smog it. Really does suck for being an auto enthusiast.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't wait to get my car smogged next year. It should be so much fun.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dammit, it turns out my smog is THIS year.

This could be troublesome without the right connections... If anyone has any a PM would be cool.

I can still use the stock ECU, if necessary, and luckily I still own the OEM cat.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if anyone wants.. i have an f20 that ill swap with the guys that put an f22 in their car so you can be smog legal again..