California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

4.77 gears.... i wish i left my diff alone

Old 01-21-2006, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.77 gears.... i wish i left my diff alone

ok so i guess i just need to vent, i'm really upset right now...

Last month i purchased my 4.77 gears through Rick's. I had an extra diff that i also purchased waiting for this mod. Last week, i was finally ready to go get them installed. So I took my car to Ramjet, and got them put in. Its been a little over 500 miles now (never got past the break in period), and the gears whine like no other. Tonight i drained the fluid to find what looked like liquid metal due to all the metal shavings.

So i'm screwed... I just sold my beater car, and now this happens with the S. Plus school starts this week i just hope it makes it back to ramjet to get my stock diff put in.

Again this is just me venting... i am not blaming either Ricks or ramjet, stuff happens, things go wrong. I just wish i never touched the diff in the first place, now i'm out $500 (extra diff) $400 (gears) $270 (install).
Old 01-21-2006, 10:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds normal to me. after changing the fluid id you go for a drive???

the whinning is normal...and so is the metal shaving in the first diff oil change.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:08 PM

far from normal... I have a apex n1 catback with testpipe, and i can't hear my exhaust. I have to scream at my passenger for them to hear me. the whine is way too loud

I have heard gear whine.. and this is something more serious. Plus after i drive, my diff is super hot. And yes, I did drive after the fluid change and it still sounds the same.

On the bright side, while changing my diff fluid i also changed my tranny fluid to GM syncromesh and it feels great. No more notchiness
Old 01-21-2006, 11:24 PM

Sorry dude that sucks... From what I've read on s2ki, whining that loud sounds like they didn't adjust the tooth contact and/or the backlash. Is Ramjet a rear-end shop or a performance shop?

-JD
Old 01-22-2006, 12:12 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have read that they are known for not using NEW install parts.
This might be cause???
Old 01-22-2006, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ramjet is a great place, imo. im sorry you're having trouble. what do you think is the problem?
Old 01-22-2006, 02:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, i have heard nothing but good about ramjet. many on s2ki have had their gears installed there with no problems. the guy is supposed to be a pro. sorry to hear this, if it makes you feel better, my antenna got jacked recently, i don't know exactly when, but i feel like i got raped.

oh, and i am going to ramjet to get my 4.56 installed too. again, sorry to hear this.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:29 AM

oatnet, I think the backlash might have been a little off to begin with. After break in it is supposed to change a little on its own, and thats about when i started having problems. And they are actually a rear-end shop.

Like everyone has said, ramjet is a great place. But I think i was one of his first 4.77 installs, but he said he has done many 4.57. I don't blame the shop, it could be many things that went wrong. I am no rear end expert.

I just want to cut my loses and go back to my orig diff, maybe he'll even put it back in for free considering the problems
Old 01-22-2006, 08:48 AM

ramjet... where is place? hope it turns out minor.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:20 AM

ramjet is in sunvalley. No matter how minor the problem may be, i just don't have the time or money to keep replacing parts.

If anyone else wants to take a shot at fixing it, after it gets pulled out. Throw me an offer on it, any offer... I'll take about anything for it, lowball me. I would imagine if you put back in the stock ring and pinion it would be good again.

Quick Reply: 4.77 gears.... i wish i left my diff alone