California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Angels Game

Old 10-12-2005, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone else see the ball change directions on the super slo-mo replay??? Now... there's no possible way the ump could've seen whether or not it was trapped, but it looks like it possibly wasn't caught.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:01 PM

Oh, and all you fools calling for blood on the Umps... ease off. It's not like Cano was 'actually' running inside the basepath in Game 5 v. the Yankees. He could have EASILY been called safe, but you guys weren't complaining then, huh?

Or do you all have short term memories?

Listen to your Manager, he took the high road. All my respect to Scoscia for being the bigger guy, and taking his lumps like a man. He's been in the game long enough to know that you can't blame everything on one call.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shut up Giants fan (Nate)
Old 10-12-2005, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by AP2Suzuka,Oct 12 2005, 08:03 PM
Shut up Giants fan (Nate)
Hey man... I'm a Giants fan, but I'm also a fan of the game as a whole (as all true baseball fans are). I'm being totally unbiased. I thought the call was crap until I saw the super-duper-slo-mo replay, in which it looked like it possibly was trapped.

Also, I get annoyed by people who think Umps have an easy job . Like you've never slipped up at your job?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:15 PM

it's easy for everyone to make the call once seeing it like 35 times in super slow mo.. but give the umps a break, their jobs are hard enough!

that said.. GO ASTROS!!
Old 10-12-2005, 08:16 PM

Just a note, it was Josh Paul behind the plate, not Molina.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:24 PM

My bad...changed...
Old 10-12-2005, 08:38 PM

i didn't like the call either.... however i did like how Scoscia took the high road..... if that wasn't classy i don't know what is... he's gettin ready to move on w/ the home games..
Old 10-12-2005, 09:08 PM

i thought that was BS as well...yes the umpires have it hard...and yes that play vs. the Yanks could have gone the other way. No umpire is perfect and we cant expect them to be. Its that fact that the umpire called him out in the first place is what pisses me off. The home plate umpire put his arm out to indicate that the ball was "trapped" and when A.J. crossed home plate to go back to the dugout, then the umpire called him out. Then A.J. decides to run to first and is safe after the home plate umpire calls him out in the first place. That is what drives me up the wall! i don't care if they get the whole "trapped" call wrong its the fact the home plate umpire called him out and then was overturned by the other umpires. The home plate umpire is the main umpire and needed to stick with his initial call of A.J. crossing the plate after strike three and calling him out.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by CHUBBS11,Oct 12 2005, 09:08 PM
....The home plate umpire is the main umpire and needed to stick with his initial call of A.J. crossing the plate after strike three and calling him out.
I think you're misinterpreting the rule about abandoning the base path. It's a common mistake.

In the rule book, it says:

6.09 The batter becomes a runner when_
(a) He hits a fair ball; The third strike called by the umpire is not caught, providing (1) first base is unoccupied, or (2) first base is occupied with two out; When a batter becomes a base runner on a third strike not caught by the catcher and starts for the dugout, or his position, and then realizes his situation and attempts then to reach first base, he is not out unless he or first base is tagged before he reaches first base. If, however, he actually reaches the dugout or dugout steps, he may not then attempt to go to first base and shall be out.

So, just by crossing the plate, he wasn't out.

But, I think he should have stuck with his call anyway and not have let the other umps change his mind.

Quick Reply: Angels Game