California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners
View Poll Results: Which company has the highest quality (whatever that means) gas?
Chevron
48.06%
7.75%
Arco
2.33%
Shell
32.56%
Mobil
3.88%
Costco
2.33%
Valero
0%
Other
3.10%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Best gas in Southern California?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geoff2005,Feb 22 2010, 10:41 PM
76 just because i cant find anywhere that beats the price of 76 on imperial hwy in brea.

One of the pumps at the Imperial/57fwy station has this.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ I work off Lambert 1 road away and I can beat this daily.

OH AND WHEN WILL PEOPLE REALIZE ALL THIS FUEL IS THE SAME, JUST BUY CHEAP COSTCO GAS!

Once a month run expensive stuff if you enjoy thinking the detergents are worth it.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alvaro's breakfast burritos supply me with the best gas...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 AM

Don't know for sure if it is true or not but, I've read that most gas company's share gas resources like a commodity, buying and selling from each other, the only difference being, additives put in later. So essentially you are buying the same gas everywhere.

How the gas stations maintain their equipment has more of a bearing on the quality of gas between the gas companies than the gas itself.
Have you ever seen the deplorable condition of most ARCO stations. I can only imagine the quality and cleanliness of the under ground tanks there.
I'd rather not put dirt and water through my tank, thank you.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:50 AM

All I have to say is that nobody here is qualified to say what gas is best. It is all purely speculation.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 AM

i mentioned the buying and selling and making to spec aspect of gas companies selling to each other to my friend who works at the chevron plant. he said they do that in more rural areas (theres a term for it that i dont remember), but the refineries in california more than cover the whole californian market so chevron does not need to do that here.

i completely agree with you patrick. i have gotten bad gas at a thrifty gas mart. i dont blame the "quality", i blame the station. sure, you can polish a turd (looks may be deceiving), but i sure as hell wont shop at a place that looks like a turd either (any more). on the other hand, ive had a friend get bad gas from a chevron station as well. just a bad tank i suppose. cost him a lot of money but he fought it and got chevron to reimburse him the expenses, i think.

getting gas from a place with a good turn around is also a good idea. then you know the gas doesnt have as much time to accumulate condensation underground. but then usually a chevron that has the cheapest prices and the most pumps is usually going to be the busiest anyway. and thats usually what i look for.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=S2Koupe,Feb 23 2010, 11:56 AM] getting gas from a place with a good turn around is also a good idea.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by S2000Patrick,Feb 23 2010, 11:45 AM
Don't know for sure if it is true or not but, I've read that most gas company's share gas resources like a commodity, buying and selling from each other, the only difference being, additives put in later. So essentially you are buying the same gas everywhere.

How the gas stations maintain their equipment has more of a bearing on the quality of gas between the gas companies than the gas itself.
Have you ever seen the deplorable condition of most ARCO stations. I can only imagine the quality and cleanliness of the under ground tanks there.
I'd rather not put dirt and water through my tank, thank you.
The tanks are pretty much spotless. Years ago this wasn't the case but now it is.

I ran ARCO for 7 years in my truck.... fuel filter was perfect when I pulled it this year.

I'd bet that the biggest fact for cleanliness as mentioned comes down to the guy who fills the tanks up, the refill tubes not being cleaned etc. Still, from the info I got from someone who does this job for a living, he said the tanks are absolutely spotless inside no matter the brand. He inspects tanks regularly as a job. If I remember right he said the ethanol helps to keep them clean.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:25 PM

I definitely saw a difference between Arco and chevron when it came to MPG. But now i only fill up with Costco because in my mind they sell alot of gas which means the gas is fresher
Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 PM

^ ....

fresher = same for mpg, the octane isn't gonna fall anywhere near fast enough to matter. It'd have to sit in the tank for like 6 months to matter in the slightest, being a mostly stock car it'll never even matter if it was a 6mo old fuel.

Arco/Chevron, I've ran both back to back on the same trips, Identical mileage on the dot. Done it in multiple vehicles too. I do see a huge difference in different fuel from state to state or at different altitudes etc. though. Perhaps that was affecting your data?

Quick Reply: Best gas in Southern California?