California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Help with my daily

Old 09-21-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my daily

I thought of posting this on the civic forum but S2K community is usually more helpful so I decided to ask you guys first.

Three weeks ago, I noticed my 2001 civic was over heating. I examined the car and noticed a crack on the radiator near the radiator cap. I replaced the radiator, bled the coolant and everything seemed normal until last Friday.

I was driving and my civic started to over heat again so I turned on the heater while looking for a place to safely park my car. Only cold air blew out from the vent. I parked and waited to see if the temperature will go back to normal but the temperature gauge stayed at 3/4 (normally at 1/2 mark). I turned off the car and waited. I opened the hood and noticed an overflow from the reservoir. Radiator was dry and radiator cap was also dry. I opened the reservoir and it was full. I waited to see if the radiator will suck back the coolant in the reservoir but it didn't.

I managed to get home and opened the radiator and the reservoir next morning. Radiator was empty and reservoir was full.

I took out the thermostat and tested. Thermostat works properly. I put a new gasket and put everything back, filled up the radiator and bled it. I bought a new radiator cap and installed it.

I drove for about 100 miles and temperature was normal. Later at night, I opened the radiator cap and coolant rushed out. Looks like it was pressurized.

From the my observations, I hope it is just a faulty radiator cap that didn't allow the coolant in the reservoir to return back to the radiator.

My other guess would be a blown head gasket.

I am researching and learning how the cooling system works and those two, radiator cap and blown head gasket, are my best guesses.

Can anyone chime in and help me to resolve the over heating issue?

Thank you.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08S2000
I thought of posting this on the civic forum but S2K community is usually more helpful so I decided to ask you guys first.

Three weeks ago, I noticed my 2001 civic was over heating. I examined the car and noticed a crack on the radiator near the radiator cap. I replaced the radiator, bled the coolant and everything seemed normal until last Friday.

I was driving and my civic started to over heat again so I turned on the heater while looking for a place to safely park my car. Only cold air blew out from the vent. I parked and waited to see if the temperature will go back to normal but the temperature gauge stayed at 3/4 (normally at 1/2 mark). I turned off the car and waited. I opened the hood and noticed an overflow from the reservoir. Radiator was dry and radiator cap was also dry. I opened the reservoir and it was full. I waited to see if the radiator will suck back the coolant in the reservoir but it didn't.

I managed to get home and opened the radiator and the reservoir next morning. Radiator was empty and reservoir was full.

I took out the thermostat and tested. Thermostat works properly. I put a new gasket and put everything back, filled up the radiator and bled it. I bought a new radiator cap and installed it.

I drove for about 100 miles and temperature was normal. Later at night, I opened the radiator cap and coolant rushed out. Looks like it was pressurized.

From the my observations, I hope it is just a faulty radiator cap that didn't allow the coolant in the reservoir to return back to the radiator.

My other guess would be a blown head gasket.

I am researching and learning how the cooling system works and those two, radiator cap and blown head gasket, are my best guesses.

Can anyone chime in and help me to resolve the over heating issue?

Thank you.
I can't chime in with the resolution but I do want you to know that those civics from those years had that "ghost" overheating problem, so you're not the only one. You fix what you think might help and it does for a short while and it comes back, its weird as hell. I had a friend who's brothers 02 civic did this and he eventually gave up and got rid of it. I hope someone can chime in with some helpful insight on this! Good luck!
Old 09-21-2015, 02:03 PM

Thanks for letting me know of the ghost overheating issue with the 7th gen civic.

I never had this issue until couple weeks ago when my original radiator cracked and had to be replaced.

By the way, I bled the system by doing the following; I lifted the front and had the engine running until the fan came on 5 times with the heater on.

Maybe the car is just getting too old after almost 15 years and 230k miles.

Next thing I can do is to check the coolant and oil and see if they are contaminated.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:06 PM

Have you noticed a rough run upon start up and goes away after it idles for a bit, if you have that may be an indicator of coolant entering the cylinder/s. Doing a block test when the concern is happening may help isolate it, intermittent stuck closed t-stat, when you had the t-stat out did you see any abnormal wear? Air in the system. Water pump faulty. Coolant fans not operating properly, coolant temp sensor may be giving a bad reading and the computer doesn't turn the fans on
Old 09-21-2015, 06:14 PM

Thanks for letting me know of the ghost overheating issue with the 7th gen civic.

I never had this issue until couple weeks ago when my original radiator cracked and had to be replaced.

By the way, I bled the system by doing the following; I lifted the front and had the engine running until the fan came on 5 times with the heater on.

Next thing I can do is to check the coolant and oil and see if they are contaminated.
Maybe a dumb question but the bleed was done with the radiator cap off right?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by S2K2005RD
Have you noticed a rough run upon start up and goes away after it idles for a bit, if you have that may be an indicator of coolant entering the cylinder/s. Doing a block test when the concern is happening may help isolate it, intermittent stuck closed t-stat, when you had the t-stat out did you see any abnormal wear? Air in the system. Water pump faulty. Coolant fans not operating properly, coolant temp sensor may be giving a bad reading and the computer doesn't turn the fans on

Thank you for your reply.

I did noticed that the star ups were a bit rough in the morning. Should I look for white smog during a morning star up which will indicate that I have a blow gasket.

When I did the thermostat test, it looked very normal. When I did the bleeding, the coolant fans were working properly.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stangeralf
Originally Posted by 08S2000' timestamp='1442873020' post='23753815

Maybe a dumb question but the bleed was done with the radiator cap off right?
Yes, I forgot to mention that I had the radiator cap off. Anything I should've done?
Old 09-21-2015, 07:27 PM

Just an update:

I just checked the engine oil and the level is still the same (@ full). Also I opened the radiator cap and coolant rushed out again (pressurized) but no sign of oil. The coolant level is same as yesterday.

I will start the car tomorrow morning and see if I see any white smoke.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:28 PM

Thank you for your reply. I did noticed that the star ups were a bit rough in the morning. Should I look for white smog during a morning star up which will indicate that I have a blow gasket. When I did the thermostat test, it looked very normal. When I did the bleeding, the coolant fans were working properly.
I would consider doing a block test which all it is, is a chemical test to see if combustion gases are entering the cooling system. On another note you might not see that much white smoke since it does take a while for the car to overheat after it has been filled and purged from air.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by S2K2005RD
Thank you for your reply. I did noticed that the star ups were a bit rough in the morning. Should I look for white smog during a morning star up which will indicate that I have a blow gasket. When I did the thermostat test, it looked very normal. When I did the bleeding, the coolant fans were working properly.
I would consider doing a block test which all it is, is a chemical test to see if combustion gases are entering the cooling system. On another note you might not see that much white smoke since it does take a while for the car to overheat after it has been filled and purged from air.
no your bleed procedures if anything were over done so you're good there, do as stated above, a block test.

Quick Reply: Help with my daily