It was bound to happen eventually.

[QUOTE]
IT
Old 10-20-2008, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Laguna Seca....
Old 10-20-2008, 04:16 PM

To make matters worse, asking insurers to clarify coverage could result in a nasty surprise. Mike Barr, a dentist from Palm Beach, Fla., called the insurer USAA to see if his policy covered his Subaru WRX STi on the track.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:17 PM

THAAAAAAAT'S right.............discourage people from taking performance driving courses to increase their skills.

Dumb stupid f**ks.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Wow, that sucks...
Old 10-20-2008, 05:55 PM

But there is track day insurance you can buy. I forget the name of the company..it was posted on trackhq.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is one posted earlier this year by Krazik.

prices seem reasonable...

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c.../hpdeinsurance
Old 10-20-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicotunes,Oct 20 2008, 07:17 PM
THAAAAAAAT'S right.............discourage people from taking performance driving courses to increase their skills.

Dumb stupid f**ks.

You're right, it doesn't make any sense.

The insurers of the daily-driven cars of drivers that participate in HPDE's will get all the benefit of the training while the specialty insurers, the ones that are actually enabling this training, carry all of the risk. Since I'm sure they'll pass that risk on to the drivers through the premiums (if they didn't, they'd go broke), the regular insurers are basically discouraging their policy holders from becoming better drivers, which in the end is going to cost them. Everybody loses.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline,Oct 20 2008, 07:36 PM
You're right, it doesn't make any sense.

The insurers of the daily-driven cars of drivers that participate in HPDE's will get all the benefit of the training while the specialty insurers, the ones that are actually enabling this training, carry all of the risk. Since I'm sure they'll pass that risk on to the drivers through the premiums (if they didn't, they'd go broke), the regular insurers are basically discouraging their policy holders from becoming better drivers, which in the end is going to cost them. Everybody loses.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I hate to play devil's advocate but when are skills learned in a HPDE really going to help street driving except say in rain/snow conditions or if you're just going too fast on your own and get into a bad situation?

I'm a big fan of car control and an avid/experienced autocrosser but 99% of the time if you drive a safe speed on the street you're not going to need to catch a huge tail slide at 60 mph like on a road course or need most of the skills you acquire at a performance driving event. Most the people I know that autocross/attend HPDE's are faster/more aggresive drivers on public roads as well since they know they have the skills to handle the car sliding around a 180 u turn even though it's a stupid idea.

I highly advocate driving schools like Tire Rack/BMWCCA Street Survival by applying low speed car control and vehicle dynamics in real world situations but honestly a HPDE isn't going to make most people a safer driver in normal situations on public roads. Track driving and street driving are 2 completely different things IMO, if you're within the reasonable posted speed limits you'll rarely run into situations that require track skills.

Quick Reply: Insurance Companies closing the track day loophole