California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Question for College Graduates.

Old 11-13-2003, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,

yeah im in my last year at uci also. just two more quarters to go before i graduate but i think i have my post graduation plans all figured out.

when i was a few years younger i had no clue what to do with my life. all i did was just waste a lot of time doing jack and that pretty much sums up my years prior to transferring to uci last year.

what i recommend you do is go to the career center and attend as many career seminars that are offered at uci. hopefully you will be able to find something that you like. im kind of similar to you. im a sociology major and did not know what to do with it. then about two quarters ago i realized what i wanted to do. one thing i recommend you think about when you get any job is do you really want to do this for the next 30 or 40 years of your life? that is the reason why i left a reasonably well paying job in the banking industry. i knew that i wouldnt be able to do that everyday. i realized that my life would slowly become like office space and that scared/depressed the hell out of me. then i was able to find something i was really interested in and hopefully will get into. all it takes is time and eventually you will find something you want to do.

chris
Old 11-13-2003, 12:48 PM

I agree, use the career center as much as possible...I did and I start an awesome job next week

Ryan
Old 11-13-2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by The Raptor
Get an MBA.
I'm trying George. With a lil luck, I'll be a Trojan.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i went to my liberal arts career center and they told me to get a business degree!!
so i did, and they were right- plenty of business jobs. got a business job that paid for my SC masters degree.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:23 PM

Ask yourself something, who makes all the money, "The Boss" or the "guy working for the boss?" If you're worried about getting job after graduation, you should be the job. If you are your own boss, you'll have more time to spend with love ones instead of going to work at 8, coming home at 5 every day for the next 40 years. Do you think the 40/40/40 plan will work with today's demand? In case you don't know what the 40/40/40 plan is, it's working 40 hours a week for 40 years of your LIFE and retiring with 40% of your income. It's sad to see old folks puring your coffee at a danny's at 3 in the morning; or old greeters working at walmart. Here's a thought, all financial planners will tell you that you need atleast 2 millions in net worth to retire financially secure. I know I'm kind of off subject, but you're feeling panicky about graduation, you should consider building great wealth as a business owner or an investor. My point is, if you ever have a business oppurtunity, jump on it. The average person is too afraid to take a risk in the business investing/owning world. They want or need security from a normal 8-5PM job. If you're really afraid of getting a job, start doing some brain storming and open a business. No offense to everyone on this form, but if you want some advise, you should get it from a person you want to be. Example, if you go to the GYM for the first time and you want to be really built, do you ask a skinny guy for advise or a huge, fully built guy for advise??? If you want to be a great teacher, ask a teacher for advise. I'm in the process of opening a dealership, so if you would like to start one, I can give you all the information I know for you to start one. Sure, you might have to go to school for certain job, but will school GUARANTEE that pay check. There's two kinds of pay checks, a linear paycheck and a leaverage paycheck. The difference is that the person with linear paycheck will stop getting a paycheck after he/she quicks and stop working. The leaverage person will still get paid after he quits and a paycheck will keep coming. It's call residual income. The guy who started Apple computers started working out of his garage. I'm not saying that everyone who starts a business will be successful like bill gates, Walt Disney or Sam Walton; but it's worth a try. You will fall in your life, and you'll get back up even stronger. I had a great mentor who owns 4 different companies to teach me the books to read and the steps to get where I want to be. You can start by reading "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert K. I have a whole list of great books you can read to set your mind straight and discipline yourself to be successful. Have a goal in life and you can reach it if you "conceive it and perceive it, you will receive it"....

My two cents
Old 11-16-2003, 12:30 AM

Another UCI grad here. Graduated in 2000 with a major in criminology. Didn't really know what i wanted to do either. Tried working for various law enforcement places, but just was not feeling the danger aspect of it. Took some tests for the city of la www.lacity.org passed them, got a job as a management assistant, now just promoted to management analyst. I agree with posts about limiting yourself to your major, dont need to do it, there's plenty of things to do, just look around its a big world. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2003, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What sort of jobs were you thinking about when you chose those majors? But yeah, I felt similarly when I graduated. I'd just spent 5 years of my life (slow learner, eh?) feeling like a second-class citizen because I wasn't holding down a career job. And I was sick and tired of my majors (Chemistry and Biochemistry) so I wasn't ready to take a test-tube job.

Talking it over with all my friends we all agreed there was more luck and who-you-know to getting that first sweet (pays well & interesting) job. My two cents: stay flexible, don't get tied down so fast with debts and a lifetime career. Wait and find the best fit.

On the subject of running your own business, great idea if you're a risk taker and willing to fail while giving it your absolute best shot. I learned a lot in two businesses I started but I'm working for someone else these days. Being a wage slave isn't that bad if the wage is high enough and you can separate work from personal life.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:14 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys...I'm learning alot...keep'em coming..