Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

1993 RX7 vs 2007 S2000 - Head to Head Review

Old 08-11-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 430 Likes on 322 Posts

I'd own an FD......but the 15 MPG would not allow me to drive it nearly as much as I like to drive my S2000.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really, really, really want an FD shell to put a high revving inline 4 like an SR20 (with VET conversion) or F22C + turbo into... You get the looks & the handling of the FD, you have a hardtop for better aero without having to dish out big $$$ for one like with the S2K, you fix the reliability problem, you maintain at least some of the spirit of the car by going with a high revving, smaller displacement engine over a torquey v8... would be such a fun track toy and street car.

Have you all seen the SR20VET powered Valtonen RX7 time attack car from Finland? That thing is what dreams are made of for me.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/07/...valtonen-rx-7/

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWuOGFi7ky0[/media]

EDIT: can't get the YouTube video to embed properly.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VilleS2K
Love the FD, but also love the S2000. Primarily for reliability, it's the S2000 for me. That's why I own one and never plan to sell it. And I agree that nothing in a reasonable price range besides an Elise touches the S2000 for driving pleasure (at least I assume... never been in an Elise). It's addicting... the best, most fun driver's car for the money. I've been in and/or driven faster, newer BMWs, Vettes, etc., and while they have gobs of torque and are fast, they still seemed tame compared to my mildly modified AP1.

Keep up the good work Zygrene. And thanks! We share pretty much the same outlook on cars and driving.
You know what's crazy? The Elise doesn't blow the S2000 out of the water. After reviewing the non-SC Elise, I can safely say it's nimbler than the S2000 (it's over 800 lbs lighter!) but the engine is moderately disappointing compared to the F series. The Toyota motor is still enjoyable with its 8000+ rpm redline, but the F series is still in a league of its own for a stock 4 cylinder. And the S2000 shifter is COMPLETELY in a class of its own. Nothing I've driven comes remotely close to the mechanical, perfectly weighted, snickety-snick operation.

Originally Posted by myclue
I love the looks of the FD. I went to look at a clean 93 Touring from a private seller the other week, but I couldn't fit in the car!
I'm 6'1" 190 LBS and the steering wheel was right in between my legs and my legs were cramped.
Needless to say, my dreams of owning a FD are not over
Really? 6'1" 190 lbs doesn't seem that big. How the hell did Matt Farah fit in the two FD's he reviewed? I remember the driving position felt similar to the S2000 for me, if not a little more spacious.

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
I'd own an FD......but the 15 MPG would not allow me to drive it nearly as much as I like to drive my S2000.
Yup, another unfortunate quirk of the rotary.

Originally Posted by MaximumAttack
I really, really, really want an FD shell to put a high revving inline 4 like an SR20 (with VET conversion) or F22C + turbo into... You get the looks & the handling of the FD, you have a hardtop for better aero without having to dish out big $$$ for one like with the S2K, you fix the reliability problem, you maintain at least some of the spirit of the car by going with a high revving, smaller displacement engine over a torquey v8... would be such a fun track toy and street car.

Have you all seen the SR20VET powered Valtonen RX7 time attack car from Finland? That thing is what dreams are made of for me.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/07/...valtonen-rx-7/

EDIT: can't get the YouTube video to embed properly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWuOGFi7ky0
An FD with a tuned F22 pushing around 250whp would be a blast. But the rotary does have its own character that can't be replaced.

The aero on that Valtonen FD is insane!
Old 08-12-2016, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a well running fd is like 13-15k the ones above 20k are the super mint ones, alot of fun can be had in a 15k fd.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:08 AM

forget mpg of the fd lest talk about its mpq. Miles Per Quart. My buddy has an FC and I have to say the maintenance on those cars. I'm not even talking about the fact the engine needs to be rebuilt every 60K miles. I'm talking about everything from AC to fuel lines breaking and the car has 100K miles on it
Old 08-12-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I ever bought my first s2000, I looked at a fd. They (cosmo motors), was selling theirs for $11000. I knew about the reliability on them. How they get hot and melt things in the engine bay. Always have vacuum problems. It was nice but I couldn't deal with all that. Funny thing was that at the dealership, a s2000 drove by so I ended up looking for one and bought an s. If I was a guy who knew his way with rotarys, I would of gotten it. No doubt, nice cars. Not good for the average car guy with no rotary experience imo.

Oh forgot to add, i hate the usdm front bumpers on the fd. The jdm bumpers look so much better
Old 08-12-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Great video Zygrene once again. Im subed to your channel on youtube. I hope this isn't turning to a DJ request booth, but I would love to see how an 06+ AP2 compares against the new miata to see if it stands the test of time. I have an 07 s2k fairly stock if you need a car just PM me I'm in the bay area.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Zygrene
An FD with a tuned F22 pushing around 250whp would be a blast. But the rotary does have its own character that can't be replaced.

Pfft, an F22C + a turbo at 400hp+ you mean!

And, of course, the sound & the linearity of the rotary makes for a great experience..... but the horrendous inefficiency & reliability would make me enjoy the car more with a different engine, I think.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by kerby
a well running fd is like 13-15k the ones above 20k are the super mint ones, alot of fun can be had in a 15k fd.
I've been having a hard time finding any good ones for under $20k lately. The price seems to be going up as they become more hard to attain!
Old 08-12-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SilliG
Great video Zygrene once again. Im subed to your channel on youtube. I hope this isn't turning to a DJ request booth, but I would love to see how an 06+ AP2 compares against the new miata to see if it stands the test of time. I have an 07 s2k fairly stock if you need a car just PM me I'm in the bay area.
Thanks!

It's funny because I've had a few Youtube comments along the lines of "stop comparing every car to your shit S2000 and shit NSX" but then there are people who thank me for the comparisons. Can't please 'em all.

Regardless, I definitely want to review an ND Miata. I'll PM you if I decide to do a comparison.

Originally Posted by MaximumAttack
Originally Posted by Zygrene' timestamp='1470985659' post='24037633

Pfft, an F22C + a turbo at 400hp+ you mean!

And, of course, the sound & the linearity of the rotary makes for a great experience..... but the horrendous inefficiency & reliability would make me enjoy the car more with a different engine, I think.
I still need to find someone with a turbo S2000. I've never experienced a turbo VTEC so I'll reserve judgement until I have.

Quick Reply: 1993 RX7 vs 2007 S2000 - Head to Head Review