Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2009 Elise SC v.s 2008 S2000 CR

Old 09-02-2010, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Elise SC v.s 2008 S2000 CR

I test drove a Lotus Elise SC today. By far probably the most entertaining car I have ever driven. I only drove it for about 4-5 minutes, which doesn't sound like much time to determine the significant differences between my S2K and the Elise, but it was more than enough time for me to make a determination: I want a Lotus!

Now I'll admit, I'm slightly biased. The Lotus Elise/Exige is my dream car (for shortening purposes, I will simply refer to the Elise from this point on). Before even getting into the vehicle, I convinced myself that the Elise would be the greatest car I'd ever drive, no matter what car I drive after today.
After spending a few minutes behind the wheel, followed by several minutes inspecting the car's every proportion (interior, exterior, engine, etc.), I have a decent review of the vehicle that I can use to compare with my experience in the S2000.

Appearance: The Lotus screams, "Exotic!" While driving it around a few blocks, I noticed people staring, pointing, and one lady drove by while giving me the . The S2000 CR is a lovely car and I highly doubt that its looks will ever seem dated, but the Elise's appearance gave me goosebumps.

Entry: People complain about the difficulty of getting into/out of the Elise. I actually didn't find it too difficult. I'm 5'10", 150 lbs. I found getting into the Elise not very difficult, but getting out of it for the first time, I almost tripped. After that, it was easy entering/exiting the Elise for the rest of my time at the dealership.

Interior: Both the Elise and S2000 lack creature comforts, which is not something I'm looking for in a sports car, especially one that is track oriented; however, the Elise's interior made the $58k price tag a joke. The S2000's interior looks better, in my opinion. Neither cars have supportive seats that would make a long road trip comfortable, but both vehicles deliver the following:

Fun-to-Drive: The Elise SC makes my S2000 feel like a Fit! Though lacking torque, the Elise sped off quickly in any gear at almost any rpm range. The salesman, who was with me during the test drive, insisted that I push the vehicle a bit and I found the sound of the mid-engine 4-cylinder to be blissful. Downshifts made the Elise's supercharged engine sound like it had more power than a mere 220 bhp.
After driving the Elise SC, my S2000 CR felt slower than it really is. I mean, the S2K is not a very fast car, but I never really thought of it as being extremely slow like I do now.
I took the Elise through corners at mild speed, but it felt much quicker simply because the handling is superb.

Complaints of the Elise SC: Simply put: the gearbox. It isn't as smooth as the S2000's. I now understand why everyone raves on this website about the S2K's gearbox. The Elise's gearbox might be a deal breaker for me... I'm not sure yet. Maybe a longer test drive would make me appreciate the shifts of the Lotus.
When downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, I accidentally put the gear into 4th and wondered, "What?"

The way the reverse gear is accessed in the Elise is pretty cool, but other than that, I'd prefer the S2000's gearbox with the Elise's appearance, exclusivity, and driveability.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty cool bro i'd like to get behind the wheel of a elise/exige myself.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the review. Love Elise's.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:43 PM

ryne

your z is coming along nicely
Old 09-02-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mrwilliams,Sep 2 2010, 07:43 PM
ryne

your z is coming along nicely
Oh, thanks. I've been working on it here and there - trying to get some major stuff done - her 40th birthday is 12/10.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 PM

Everytime I see an elise I say "damn, that car looks good." but then I realize how much it would suck to daily drive one of those and then I continue on driving in my car.
*shrug* maybe its just me but until I have a DD so I can use the elise as a weekend only car, its just not worth it.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 PM

The Exige/Elise are sick cars. I won't hesitate to purchase on in the future if funds are available.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:26 PM

I actually left my name, phone number and e-mail address with the salesman so he can call me when a used Elise comes by for ~$30k or less. I am considering trading in my CR for a used Elise. It sounds great right now to me, but I'm not really planning ahead... Maybe I should.
If the dealership did have an affordable Elise sitting around, I would've been a Lotus owner as we speak. That's how much I loved that Elise.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 PM

Lots
Of
Trouble
Usually
Serious
Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 PM

I feel 100% the same way the OP does.

I test drove an SC Elise 2 months ago and fell in love.

The steering...oh the steering...made my Porsche feel numb and lifeless in comparison.

And the acceleration is very surprising. It will pin you in your seat.

A 2008 Lotus Elise SC will be my next car. But they are still 55K here in Canada

Quick Reply: 2009 Elise SC v.s 2008 S2000 CR