Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2017 Honda Ridgeline

Old 01-11-2016, 06:20 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 2017 Honda Ridgeline

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-ho...-wi-1752299551

The only engine option is a 3.5-liter V6, and while Honda hasn’t given us horsepower numbers, the Pilot makes 280 ponies, so the Ridgeline will probably make something similar. That engine, bolted to a six-speed auto will be able to haul approximately 1,600 pounds in the bed. Not bad.

That powertrain can be hooked up to an i-VTM4 Torque vectoring all-wheel system, so this thing could theoretically actually be a decent drift-mobile. The new ‘line still gets a dual-action tailgate and in-bed trunk like its predecessor.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:30 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

So now it looks like a truck, but still is a unibody, and no details yet on capability.

I'm not sure how this is going to win any significant market share other than to satisfy those that only buy in the Honda family.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:39 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

This is a midsize pickup that'll last forever but Honda will probably command a premium for it as well. Honda has a little niche carved out from the old Ridgeline but I don't know that this will ever really sell in quantity against the Tacoma (for instance) or the heavily improved Colorado. I do think it LOOKS far more like a pickup now, which will perhaps help sway people from the other "normal" pickups in the midsize category as they look for that Honda quality and reliability.

Honda has never pretended that the Ridgeline was about hauling or towing big loads, so the smaller size and capacity doesn't bother me in that regard. They've built a truck for "how most people use it", which means they're going for intelligent buyers more than "me too" buyers. Problem is, at their price point, they're the same as many V8 1/2 ton pickups that get similar fuel economy and have way more capability. The final numbers will tell but I don't expect that to change much...

I will be interested to see if they actually sell any of the FWD models. For daily driving and the occasional Home Depot run, it won't make a difference (as a driver) and you'll see better economy because of it but if you're towing or hauling near capacity, AWD/RWD makes far more sense for traction and control. Would also be curious to compare a FWD Ridgeline vs a RWD pickup in slippery conditions (snow/rain). I'm betting the Ridgeline will prove superior. Still, a FWD pickup just sounds "wrong".

All in all, this is (to me) a huge improvement over the funky looks of the old Ridgeline. By moving it a little more mainstream in looks, while still building in the Honda quality, they should see some improved sales.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:49 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I think I'm the target buyer for this thing. I don't care about trucks even a little bit, but I may sometimes need the utility of a truck (and when I need it, it's fairly important). But I will never tow a boat or install a Magnaflow exhaust or affix No Fear or NRA stickers. In short, I need truck-lite or diet truck, and that's what this is.

Now, I don't need a truck bad enough to pay $35k for one, but still.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:55 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

For those that are interested, Honda will be hosting their unveiling online on YouTube at 1:15 p.m. EST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjRro-aHbRI
Old 01-11-2016, 07:13 AM

Received 402 Likes on 223 Posts

Looks good, but wish the front end looked a bit tougher versus Civic/CR-V.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:26 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Looks good. I get this car and most folks I know who bought them liked them. Awd accord with a bed.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always struggled with the old Ridgeline's looks, but every owner I've known loved theirs.

One would actually make sense for me. Since domestic trucks reign supremem in my region, I've seen used Ridgelines go for good prices.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 490 Likes on 374 Posts

Does it have the trick trunk under the bed floor?
Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Does it have the trick trunk under the bed floor?
Yes. From the press release:

•Honda-exclusive features including In-Bed Trunk®, dual-action tailgate and the industry's first in-bed audio system make Ridgeline the ultimate tailgating vehicle
http://hondanews.com/releases/all-ne...onal-auto-show

Quick Reply: 2017 Honda Ridgeline