Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The all motor nsx that ran Tskuba in 56 seconds

Old 02-23-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke Togo,Feb 23 2011, 03:31 PM
without detailing it I can say the gt500 nsx's made more hp than 480.

The reason they moved to turbo engines was simply tq - the restrictors they use on the car mathematically speaking allows enough volume for 500hp

However there are ways to make more hp, but with a turbo you can have massive tq as well.

The gt500 cars are in no way a street car - everything from inboard suspension to the most advanced sequential gearbox to any kind of suspension geometry and weight bias.

That 51 second lap was a de restricted gt500 car.

This NSX is impressive because it's not a huge company it's just a guy whose serious.

The fastest all motor modern sports cars from ferrari are in the 1:07 range btw
Please detail it.

I'd love to be wrong about this. I have no reason to doubt that it's possible but I've read some very detailed accounts (albeit many years ago however) in magazines about how with the then-current restrictor dimensions that the NSX could not hit 500 hp. I remember there being a big to do about how the NSX teams felt their restrictor was disproportionately restrictive.

Again, I would love to be wrong but I remember that clearly being the case, and I in no way say that to insult the C32 at all.

I don't know if you guys remember, but Stephen Papdakis had an AEM sponsored dragster with a turboed NSX engine that made 1700 whp and revved to 12,500 rpms. The significance of which is the rpms. This engine only had to hold together for 6 seconds at a time but I think that conservatively you could expect the Super GT version to rev in excess of 10,000 rpms and, seeing what is extracted from a NA Honda four cylinder in the relatively low-tech tuning world, I see no reason to think that they can make a ton of HP. Just using conservative ricer math (haha), a 2.0 liter K series can be made to produce 260 whp in the amateur drag racing world with relative ease (additionally the BTTC Civics made some 280 flywheel hp or more in restricted form and with road race reliability), so it seems that just assuming the same degree of build that 450+ whp is attainable if you're just building the engine to the same level of expertise and aggressiveness as many refined amateurs have done. Hell, Bisi has made in excess of 340 whp (since last I checked, probably more now) from an Accord single cam. Naturally, a Super GT team will have considerably greater resources and will be able to push everything that much further. So I don't find in excess of 500 hp to be unbelievable. But restricted, that's a different story and I was referring to race trim.

Once more, I hope I'm wrong.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Also, to add to your point, I recall that they were very attracted to the torque benefit of the turbo engine in particular because of the disproportionate impact that reward weight had on their NA car vs. the turbo cars.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to remember two things its a class for cars about 500hp but is that on an engine dyno or at the wheels ? the supra had inherently more drive line loss due to it's longer drive shaft ect.

there are secrets about in this class, the big equalizer was the movement between teams of key people in this regard but mtec has engine secrets that are not mine to disclose but 550 whp is closer to the truth.

this is obviously now a decade old picture but it gives some insight into some basic race nsx engines like the dry sump ect.

Later engines would have had better fuel delivery and much higher fuel pressure among other things like staggered intake trumpet heights and a CFD designed airbox to better manage the intake trumpet flow electric water and ps pumps electric dry sumps way better manifold designs