Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone own an NSX? Just looking for some insight

Old 08-18-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bz2005s2k,Aug 18 2008, 04:00 PM
So you did not mention much about the Caymen. Does that mean you are rating it the least exciting to drive of the 3? Or by all three did you mean the FD, NSX and S2000?

Thanks
Oops., sorry, yeah, I meant FD, NSX and S2000. If I had the choice NOW as in today or this day and age between a cayman and an NSX, I'd take the Cayman hands down. I'm not going to be delusional and say that the NSX is more rare, more pure or what not. Time passes, and IMO the NSX has been outdated. I still respect it for what it is, but if given an option, I'd take the cayman S.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its maintenance cost is pretty horrible if we compare to other japanese cars. those parts are just ridiculous expensive.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bz2005s2k,Aug 18 2008, 05:39 PM
Does a Caymen perform that much better?

Weight is about the same for the NSX and the Caymen S ~2950lbs

HP is close 290 and 295 respectively

TQ goes to Caymen at 224 and 251 respectively

Is handling better for the NSX or the Caymen?

0-60 is close as well with the edge going to the Caymen at 5.1 and 5.2 for the NSX

Of course all of this is just magazine crap. For those that are in the know and have driven both cars, which is really the better performer stock for stock?
Cayman has better brakes and better handling - it's prob. the best handling sub-six figure "real" (i.e. no Lotus, Atom, etc.) car on the market. The Cayman's wheelbase is 4 1/2" shorter, and I've heard the NSX"s long wb hinders it in autocross.

Not sure about shifters, but I'm pretty sure the NSX won't hold a candle to the CS w/ respect to steering and brake feel.

Sprinkle in whatever level of PSM, PASM, Sport Chrono suits you, much less wear and tear from years/miles of aging, and there you go!
Old 08-18-2008, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jemje2006,Aug 18 2008, 04:21 PM
its maintenance cost is pretty horrible if we compare to other japanese cars. those parts are just ridiculous expensive.
We are talking about a handbuilt cutting edge car, produced in relatively low volume, that rewrote the sportscar landscape and set a new standard. You are getting well worth what you pay for.

Putting it in perspective, an NSX has far less defects and has a lower maintenance cost then a comparable ferrari or porsche. We have to compare apples to apples. Also, someone brought up the Cayman S comparison. I would argue that depending on the model, some NSXs will have better acceleration (some can do 0-60 in 4.7 seconds). Guess it depends what you are looking for. NSX is more exotic looking 2 me, and more rare. My 2 cents.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Per CarandDriver:

The Cayman S rang in at 4.8 seconds to 60 and posted a slightly quicker quarter-mile time of 13.3 seconds at 107 mph on its way to an ungoverned top speed of 166 mph.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

to the OP, I don't understand the thread tittle: if you're looking for an Insight, why are you asking about the NSX. They're both Hondas but they are quite different.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

^
Old 08-18-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by s2kva,Aug 18 2008, 06:28 PM
We are talking about a handbuilt cutting edge car, produced in relatively low volume, that rewrote the sportscar landscape and set a new standard. You are getting well worth what you pay for.

Putting it in perspective, an NSX has far less defects and has a lower maintenance cost then a comparable ferrari or porsche. We have to compare apples to apples. Also, someone brought up the Cayman S comparison. I would argue that depending on the model, some NSXs will have better acceleration (some can do 0-60 in 4.7 seconds). Guess it depends what you are looking for. NSX is more exotic looking 2 me, and more rare. My 2 cents.
It was cutting edge in 1990, but hasn't been close for a long time!

What factual data do you have to support your claim that the NSX has far less defects and has a lower maintenance cost then a comparable ferrari or porsche. OK, comparing NSX maint. costs to Ferrari is a no-brainer...but modern Porsches are fairly inexpensive to maintain, and don't have the accelerated tire wear issues of NSX's. It wasn't long ago that the Cayman topped one of the JD Power quality surveys, either - they're very solid and reliable. I wouldn't give either car a material advantage in that area.

Don't get me wrong, I tried around '04 to work a deal on a '99 Zanardi NSX, but it didn't happen. Had I bought it, I hope I would have have kept it and remained oblivious to the Cayman's charm. I'd still love to have a cherry Zanardi, but would prob. be too nervous about it to drive it much.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

porsche is inexpensive to maintain?

i just want to ask one question. maintenance cost between M3 and Cayman. which one is more expensive?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:19 PM

M3 is "free" for 4 years or 50K miles, but you really pay for it upfront in the price of the car. Can't speak for the new ones, but I know that the E46 has some expensive scheduled maint. (incl. valve adjustments, IIRC) if BMW isn't still paying for them.

Cayman is just infrequent oil changes (9 qt. oil cap. w/ big filter), flush brake fluid every 2 yrs., air filter @ 40K, plugs @ 60k, not much else other than the usual inspections.

Quick Reply: Anyone own an NSX? Just looking for some insight