Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

From a Ap2 to new GT mustag ?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default From a Ap2 to new GT mustag ?

Hello, so as it was stated in the title, im thinking of selling my 2004 S and picking up a new Ford mustang GT. I really like the new body style and the fact that they come with a good amount of power/trq. Before decided on the mustang I had 2 options camero SS and a Mustang, and the mustang with the gt package, brembo *6piston* front brakes and recaro seats is still less than a camero. Has anyone here driven the new mustangs and found something they didnt like thatI should know of , my price range is under 40k. I worry that if I sell my S I may regret it but I do want something with more power and back seats.My s2000 is still lots of fun but since i have a girlfriend and son, we are always left taking either her Accord or my hyundai accent.
ive only driven the 2013 mustangs and I like them, but I have heard that alot has changed like no more rear solid axle and the interior has changed since the previouse models.
If I do get a mustang it would be the base GT with added on accessories , Gt performance package Strut-tower Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
• Heavy-Duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Brembo™ 6-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• 19” X 9” (F) 19” X9.5” (R)Gloss Black Aluminum Wheel (Summer Tires Only)
• Unique Stability Control, EPAS & ABS Tuning
• 3.73 TORSEN® Rear Axle
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Spoiler Delete

&
* Recaro cloth seats
Attached Thumbnails From a Ap2 to new GT mustag ?-ford.png  
Old 06-09-2015, 07:21 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

I am not really a Mustag or Camero guy.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Go drive it. I hear you on use of the S with a family. There aren't a lot of models with back seats.

I sold my S and haven't looked back!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven it. It's very nice and with all large displacement engines, the torque is intoxicating. However I still prefer handling cars over muscle cars. Before I bought my S back in March, I found a dealer that had 1 year old Camaro SS, 370Z and an FR-S. I test drove them back to back to back. After driving the 370 and FR-S, the Camaro felt like a boat with an atomic bomb under the hood. That solidified my decision to pursue purchasing an S.

The new Mustang is very attractive and the GT has tons of power and would be a fun car. However, I'd ask myself how often I would take my son and G/F out in it. Although it does have a back seat...it's going to be a tight squeeze even for children. Since you have a DD and your G/F has her own car even if you get the Mustang, my sneaking suspicion is you'll still end up taking one of those other two cars when they are with you.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not into having a car that has been in production for 50 years and every family in America owns one now or has owned one. How many are on the road, like one Billion or something. I think the Mustang is a great car. Ford has come a long way and continues to push the limits. But how exciting is it to say I own a Mustang? Does anyone crane their neck to see a Mustang GT? Most normal people do not even know what an S is. There is not a person alive in America and most of the world that does not know what a Mustang is. Yes it's massive popularity is a testament to what a great car it is, but I do not want be just another Mustang owner. Same is true for the Camaro. Do as advised above. Keep your S and drive the other cars with your family.

You will try to drive the Mustang like you S through a corner and end up in ditch with your family in your car. Is that what you are trying to do? You want a hot performance car with your baby boy in the car? What are you thinking? You just want to buy that Recaro baby seat....
Old 06-09-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaGou
I am not into having a car that has been in production for 50 years and every family in America owns one now or has owned one. How many are on the road, like one Billion or something. I think the Mustang is a great car. Ford has come a long way and continues to push the limits. But how exciting is it to say I own a Mustang? Does anyone crane their neck to see a Mustang GT? Most normal people do not even know what an S is. There is not a person alive in America and most of the world that does not know what a Mustang is. Yes it's massive popularity is a testament to what a great car it is, but I do not want be just another Mustang owner. Same is true for the Camaro. Do as advised above. Keep your S and drive the other cars with your family.

You will try to drive the Mustang like you S through a corner and end up in ditch with your family in your car. Is that what you are trying to do? You want a hot performance car with your baby boy in the car? What are you thinking? You just want to buy that Recaro baby seat....
yeah! and while we're at it F*ck all the 911's!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New mustangs are very nice even though there are a lot of them on the road. I to think that if you get a new mustang how many times will you actually drive it with your family in it? Since you and your gf both have DD's, more than likely this will turn into a fun car just like your s2k. Just from reading your post it seems like you enjoy the s2k but may want something new. I think what you may need is boost....
Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven a couple of 2015s GTs. One with performance pack and one without, both manuals. I really do love the looks of the new body style and the coyote motor is a BEAST! I preferred the PP as it felt more button downed and less body roll.

I drove it back to back with a new 370z. The Z felt like a sports car and it's handling was on another level than the mustang. The stang felt loose and the steering wasn't nearly as direct and quick. The stang would make a better daily driver though.

Coming from the S2000 the mustang will feel so much different. I think if I had to choose just one car and needed rear seats the mustang would be really hard to over look.

At the beginning of the year I would break my neck when one rolled by... now I see at least 5-10 a day. So that WOW factor is already gone.. something to think about if you like to be unique.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For $40k, there are other cars I would have, especially if you're open to buying a used car. Owning a Mustang (no matter how good) is more of a state of mind than anything. You are either "that kind of person" or you aren't.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 492 Likes on 375 Posts

I like it, and right now I'd take one over an s2000 if money wasn't an issue. The thing that grew negatively on me about the S after years of ownership was the small window of driving bliss I would get from the S. For instance, on a hot day driving in any metro area, there is no car I'd hate to drive in more than the S. On a nice day with some overcast on an empty mountain road with nothing on the day's agenda, oh yeah nothing comes close to the S. The S is like a pair of nice suit paints vs. a good pair of jeans which would be the mustang. In the perfect setting, the S is perfect, but in everyday situations it makes no sense other than look it's an S. It's like people who ride crotch rockets on the highway in traffic, and then think harleys are dumb. What's dumb is buying something and not using it for its intended purpose because you want something because of what it can do vs. what you actually use it for. I learned I'm not 1) going to the track on a daily, monthly, semi annually basis or even 2) taking pure pleasure drives through mountain passes on a regular basis, and in neither 1 or 2 will I be able to comfortably and therefore enjoyably exploit the S's limits, something that 90% of us on these boards won't do on a public road because we know about the S's unforgiving nature. I enjoy cars, I enjoy a good handling car, but I don't enjoy driving a car in traffic that has less off idle torque than most family grocery getters. Often times I come across awesome driving roads on the way to something, which means the S is at home because I don't want to park the S in an unpaved parking lot somewhere and I'll be driving through endless traffic to get there.
It's for all these reasons that BMWs are so popular, but I the I'm not willing to pay for the badge, rather buy this mustang and mod it the way I want to make up for whatever deficiencies it is perceived to have.

With all that said, there is something to be said about having something "special" parked in your garage, a gem to appeal to all the inner geeks in onlookers whereas the stang will just be another mustang. I personally don't care, but I do care about depreciation, and a well sorted S at this point won't depreciate much if at all if you buy one around 20k and keep the miles low, which will be easy for all that above reasons. Which brings me to my final point, if you're going to put 15k miles plus on this car, get the stang. If you're going to put waaaay less than that, keep the S. I want the mustang, but I won't be driving my pleasure car much at all, so buying one for me is a financial losing proposition I can't justify.

Quick Reply: From a Ap2 to new GT mustag ?