Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

B18C Civic

Old 05-23-2002, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18C Civic

Hey all I havent been around the boards for a while but I have a question for the masses to respond to. Firstly I have been for the part into supras until my S2k. To this day I love it and it remains to be great but I want another project car, not that I am going to sell the S. I want to build a hybrid civic with a B18C powerplant, a car that will be fun on the street and do well on the track too. Yeah its unoriginal, but hell it works.......and the dollar for the fun is great. My first question is what are the pros/cons people have encountered with swapping to a civic hatch or a del sol, I am not sure which I want to turn to. My main thing is a street car that screams and a car that can turn good lap times as well. Nextly I am going all motor, I like the challenge and doubly like the fact that you can build exponentially as you go. A full rebuild will be in order crank to valve cover and I plan on doing this one right(slacked on my bpu supra). Anyway I have grown up around cars and know my way around the engine bay, just would like to hear some swaps of guys on the board that have had success, (drivetrain, brakes,suspension, etc). Thanks for the great board and any input would be well appreciated.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:22 AM

I have done a B18C into a 92 4 door, a B18C into a 93 2 door coupe, and don't laugh a JDM B16A automatic into a 94 4 door. The automatic was because automatic donor bodies and engines are so cheap because no one wants one.

If you want the least amount of head ache don't do the Del Sol. It is not 100% compatible like the civic and all in all not the best car Honda ever made.

If you have been thinking about this I'm sure you have been to hybrid Honda on the web. They have some good information. Also the last 6 months of sport compact car have done about every swap you can imagine H22, B16A, B18C.

I have bought my engines from importautosalvage.com. They ship you a complete kit. You will need from the Integra

engine-drivetrain with eveything still attached.
ECU.
Shift linkage.
Fuel Pump.
Trans axels.

When you gut the Civic engine bay all you should have left is the cooling system, A/C, and the firewall side of the harness. Everything else including engine mounts comes from the Integra.

The wiring harness will require a few changes that you can find on Hybrid Honda.

If you keep the A/C you will need to order or find in a junk yard the compressor bracket from a Del Sol. This will allow you to bolt the civic compressor to the Integra engine.

Another cheap and easy upgrade is to take the rear trailing arms with disc breaks from the interga and put them on the civic. They bolt right on and you get rid of those drums. An added bonus is the Intrgra ones have the attachment point for a rear sway bar.

More then likely the exhaust will not reach the header so you will need to weld a pipe in or have a muffler shop do it.

I have DC sports intake, headers, exhaust, and strut bars on mine. I also have AEM adjustable cam gears.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:15 AM

Talk to VTECVoodoo.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by ltweintz
Talk to VTECVoodoo.
The name says it all
Old 05-25-2002, 06:54 AM

Thanks a ton for the tech info, its nice to have insite on hand with this site. What is a ballpark that you ended up paying for the setup you got from the salvage site? I plan on doing a full rebuild so as long as the blocks in good shape that about all that matters to me.
Old 05-25-2002, 07:22 AM

If you intend on doing a complete rebuild and have time on your hands then you might be better off buying a car at auction. That is where alot of the kits come from anyway. You find a car with a bad body but good mechanical for the engine, and a high mileage civic with a good body for the shell.

I needed to get my car going quick, I had blown the engine in my civic and it was my primary transportation at the time. My GSR kit was $3,800 at the time, over 2 years ago. Price fluctuates with supply and demand. My GSR engine had 40,000 miles on it.

The kit included everything I needed. I didn't intend for the list in my previous post to be complete but I realized that I didn't include the cat from the GSR which you will also need.

I've had several people say that I paid too much, and you can find the parts cheaper, but this salvage yard specializes in VTEC conversions, and does a very professional job pulling the engine and shipping it. I was able to strip my civic, install the gsr, and get it on the road in a weekend.

Integra LS motors are cheap and you can frankenstein them by changing the top end for a VTEC. I have seen some pretty good all engine LSs but there is no fun in not having the VTEC kick.

The JDM B16A is a good engine as well and is much cheaper then the coveted B18C, but after all the pain in changing the harness from a right hand drive to a left hand drive I wouln't do it again.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2002, 07:31 AM

Yeah it would make sense that supply and demand would dictate the prices. But for all intensive purposes I am going shop around, import junk yards, auctions, individuals, and whatever. Luckliy for me I already have a daily driver so this isnt a rush I just want it done right. As far as the LS engine goes I dont have much interest that direction, I am aware of the frankenstein swap but that not really the path I want to take. I actually would like to stroke the 1.8 to a 2.0, and that extra .4 over a b16 should be worth it when I go with a high compressioon rebuild and all the machine and balancing work. Again thanks for the help.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:17 PM

hmm.. sorry to revive the dead , but i was trying to look for a thread about civic swaps and this is the closest i could get.

I've also been thinking about doing this swap because of the fun per dollar ratio and the popularity of it (meaning more people know what's going on).

In doing this, I am in need of some major assistance, I am most likely going to let a shop stick it in for me and do the bare minimum to get the thing running, I am definitely not an expert on what goes on under the hood, but i woudlnt count myselt out as ignorant either.

What I guess I'm asking is the basics: what would the cost be (with a respectible shop's labor) to complete the bare minimum of stickign a b18c or even h22 engine in a 94/95 coupe/sedan? I still want to have the fun of modding the sucker up a little bit but becuase i want to have a strong base to work wiht, i would rather have a tried and proven professional shop do the swap.

Also, i know this is really old and broad, but I havnt seen to find a straight out answer: b18c vs h22?

things to keep in mind: I am not aiming for a track/drag car, just a fun car to drive for money.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:51 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

i have a 1993 cx with a 1994 gsr engine with ITR lsd tranny....mine kept up with a WRX from 50mph - 120mph+.... I didn't pass him, but he did not get even a foot on me the entire way....

All interior in place including the spare, and actually at the time, my toolbox, some wood and a 50lb bucket of drylock...... so move all of that and the spare and I probably would have touched bumpers.

mine is lowered with coilvoers, has every tie bar under the sun and lightweight 16" volk TE 37's..... Have not taken it to the track yet.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:18 PM

Any other mods on the CX scot?

Quick Reply: B18C Civic