Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Boxster Spyder vs (upcoming) Boxster GTS

Old 03-04-2014, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster Spyder vs (upcoming) Boxster GTS

Hey guys. I am struggling to decide between 987 Spyder and the upcoming 981 GTS. I understand that the GTS's specs are not fully known. Things like handling, steering feel, etc are unknown. But, judging by how well the base and S versions perform, the GTS is gonna be awesome. In fact, the 981 S (with sport suspension and PTV (Porsche Torque Vectoring)) out-handled Spyder in Panorama's (Porsche Club of America's magazine) test (haven't read that article; going by Rennlist forum members' comments) Of course, with GTS, I will be able to customize all the options (Paint to Sample and all).

On the other hand, the Spyder screams of purity of purpose. I love the concept and execution. It is the last of so called 'analog' generation. 'Car and Driver' magazine rated it's steering feel almost on par with Elise's; it called it a 'tie' (in 'Best Handling Car under 100k'). It fits my persona.

So, here is a question: what would "you" do? which one would "you" choose? Yes, I understand that it comes down to what I want to get. I am asking your opinion. Appreciate your comments.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spyder. I'm an analog guy, for sure.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

3rd option.... Cayman R
Old 03-05-2014, 05:50 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Spyder prices have been holding steady and many see it as a future collector car. I prefer the new version though because the interior is light years ahead and the exterior design looks much better to me.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Hard choice! I looked at a local Spyder and really, really liked it. The interior is actually quite nice, all things considered, though it definitely doesn't look as nice as the new interior. Top-down, it looks amazing. The roof is a pain in the neck so if you like to drop the top on a whim, it isn't the car for you. You have to plan to take it off (and leave it off). That was a moderate turn-off for me as I like the ability to drop the top at a stoplight (or raise it up again, if rain is on the way)...

I believe the Spyder will be lighter than the new GTS as well. Steering isn't going to be as good on the new car (for sure) and you'll only see incremental increases in performance that you (or I) could extract. For pure driver enjoyment, the Spyder will be tough to beat.

Honestly, I think a Spyder is a great buy as it solves the problems with the looks of the last generation cars and offers performance (more or less) matching the newest cars. The only question is, can you live with that pain-in-the-neck bikini top on the car?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't help you with your decision... but lawd the Spyder is handsome!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
I can't help you with your decision... but lawd the Spyder is handsome!

Agreed!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Boxster Spyder, the one will cost at least 2X as much.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM

Tough choice, I like them both. Perhaps it will come down to the test driving and prices.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never really liked the Boxster until the Boxster Spyder came out. It looks gorgeous from most angles...I'd buy the Spyder.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder vs (upcoming) Boxster GTS