Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Boxster Spyder vs (upcoming) Boxster GTS

Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JonBoy:
All good points. I don't track; for the street, just want as hardcore/pure as I can afford or deal with. Admittedly, I could be bit complicated in my expectations.

WolfpackS2k:
Agreed. Besides the longer wheelbase, 981 chassis is 40% more stiff. But, the nimbleness may have been compromised a bit. Totally agree on steering feel; that alone might make me embrace the Spyder. Have been trying to test drive a 981 with sport suspension; but, can't find that spec to drive. And, how do you find your Basalt Black? I am not a fan of black per se; but, I was told Basalt Black is a "better" black.

ITR #203:
Did we talk before on this topic? You totally captured my thoughts, no kidding! You hit it on every single point. To recap:
- I would only consider 981 GTS with Sport Suspension and PTV. For MY2015, it may get optional bucket seats!
- As you correctly pointed out, Sport Suspension's specs are superior to 987 Spyder's. As I have noted in the beginning, Panorama magazine pitched the Spyder against a base 981 with Sport Suspension and PTV; the base came on top! Pretty impressive indeed.
- You are right again about getting the 987 Spyder now as I wait for the 981 Spyder. This is a scenario I am seriously debating. In fact, I could push harder and shoot for the 981 and not sell the 987. If I could, I would get a few vehicles "now" and be done with for rest of my life! With NA engines and manuals going away, vehicle choices are rapidly dwindling for hardcore enthusiasts. Sadly, financially I am not well off to get everything I want.
- 987 Spyder marks the pinnacle of Porsche's steering feel, as it stands now. Combined that with bespoke styling, it is pretty compelling.

Thanks again, gentlemen. Highly appreciate your thoughts. I think I am close to making a decision! Will let you guys know.

cheers. henry.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:22 AM

If it's a car you are going to keep for a long time, Spyder all the way. You don't track it so the hard top is moot and not as fun as a vert. More wow factor over a longer period of time. Spyder will probably end up with a better resale than the GTS if the GTS contines to be an option every year in numbers that are above the Spyder's.

I lust for both but I'd have my M3 for track and the Spyder for the fun leisure drives and car meets.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by berny2435
If it's a car you are going to keep for a long time, Spyder all the way. You don't track it so the hard top is moot and not as fun as a vert. More wow factor over a longer period of time. Spyder will probably end up with a better resale than the GTS if the GTS contines to be an option every year in numbers that are above the Spyder's.

I lust for both but I'd have my M3 for track and the Spyder for the fun leisure drives and car meets.
I am at a point, any car or motorcycle I get, besides what I already have, will be kept for life! I am 47; and, the automotive landscape is changing, understandably. As hardcore enthusiasts, we have different priorities. The Spyder (987 or 981 or both)/GTS will be kept for good; so, resale value is not a factor. Either the GTS or 981 Spyder will be the last NA engine Boxster/Cayman, as flat-4 turbo is imminent, besides losing manual. Would really want to get last such model as well. So, I am trying to play all these variables (and, the financials) and time it. Yes, all these make things complicated; but, cars and motorcycles are the only obsession I have! :-)

Agree on open-top vs coupe; Roadster/Cab is the only choice for me. (I might make an exception for a 997.2 GT3/GT2; that's a different topic for a different day!) Thanks for your comments.