Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C5 or NSX?

Old 10-07-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 or NSX?

Thinkin of buyin a used car...can't decide between an older '92 NSX with higher mileage or a '97 C5 with lower miles....which one would have better reliability, insurance, value, and accebility for repairs/upgrades? I know they're different cars, but not really....I think they're pretty much machted up....thanks!!
Old 10-07-2003, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you want the car for? If you're looking for pure trackable speed, the C5 would probably be faster and cheaper to modify. If you're looking for a nice car to cruise around in, get a bunch of looks, and take the the track occasionally, I'd get the NSX.

NSX cons are that it's an all aluminum frame (more expensive to fix) and parts are relatively expensive. The pros for the NSX are that it's an exotic, handles well, is drivable on the street, and has that Honda reliability (some were daily drivers for those fortunate enough to have them). The cons for the C5 would be that there's a lot of them out there, so not as much attention. Also, there's been some mention of fit and finish with some- rattles and creaks. The pros are that parts and maintenance are probably cheaper and it has excellent potential for both straight line and track racing.

My 2
Old 10-07-2003, 02:17 PM

This is the mother-of-all NSX vs Vette threads. I know it's not quite the same model years as your looking for, but It'll help.

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=71391/
Old 10-07-2003, 02:33 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

NSX should hold it's value better. I'd rather have a NSX. looks/style are head and shoulders above the vette.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:25 PM

If acceleration from a standing start is more important to you then C5. Otherwise, NSX all day long.

Having spent time behind the wheel of both, I personally (and its just my opinion so keep your flames to yourself) find no comparison between the 2. The C5 feels (and probably is) a bit quicker but in every other way the NSX is better. From looks to tactile feel to sound of that glorious 6 behind your head to steering and ergonomics (OK maybe the C5 has a better stereo)the NSX winds hands down.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:33 PM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

I struggled with this decision a little over 3 years ago. I was looking at a new C5 built to my specs or a '97+ NSX. The NSX, at the time, was going to cost probably 5 grand more than a brand new C5 with a full warranty.

I decided to get the C5, as much as I loved the NSX, and to be honest I haven't looked back. My C5 has been incredibly reliable and so much fun to mod and drive fast. I have tracked it dozens of times and it's been a fabulous car.

What price range are you looking at? You could probably get a 2000+ model C5 in the low 20's. To get an NSX in the low 20's, it will have to be a very early model NSX with probably quite a few miles on it.

Drive both and decide, you can't go wrong either way.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm thinking the used C5 is way cheaper. Leaves mad-money for mods. Rare and a head-turner? No. But you know that. C5 is comfy for a big-boy (like me) though.

Curious choices though, since "most" people here would lean one way or the other pretty fast for different reasons.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Z06 or 99 hard top.

Throw the 3.2 NSX into that equation and I would have a tough time deciding.

Folks who say things like "Honda" reliability have A. never owned any of my Honda's and B don't read NSXprime. The number of early NSX's that I see come up for sale with "just completed" 6k worth of service and repairs is spooky.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:33 PM

I would go with a 94 NSX with a super charger. That would be an amazing ride. Starting 95 99% of NSX's sold in the US are Targa tops and they flex way too much.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KaiWang
I would go with a 94 NSX with a super charger.

Quick Reply: C5 or NSX?