Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car fanaticism

Old 09-12-2007, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bloodred,Sep 12 2007, 02:24 AM
At first I was thinking "wtf?" and tried to talk to him, but he kept making comments and eventually just said "HONDAS SUCK."
Well he is right... The S2000 does suck, now it it came from the factory with a supercharger it would BLOW...

Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It's an interesting question.

I have always bought the best car I could afford that the time, that met my needs or wants at that time.

I have owned GM, Chrysler, Toyota, Alfa Romeo, and Honda.

For me, I don't care who makes it, as long as it fits my needs and my budget.

I have owned 6 GM vehicles. I only ever had ANY trouble with one of them, and it was a 1982 Cutlass that was originally sold as a diesel, but was coverted to run on gas.

I had one Chrysler, (which had a Mistu motor in it) and I never had any problems with it that I couldn't directly relate back to one of several accidents I had with the car.

I had one Toyota and it ran like a top for 60k mi. I never had an issue with it.

My Alfa was a nightmare. It was CONSTANTLY broken. I loved that car, but it just didn't hold up well.

My Honda has been problematic for me. Some of the issues are minor (some are NOT) some were caused by me modifiying (some were NOT.)

I'd buy another GM product (and plan to in a few months.) But I'd buy another Alfa or a Honda again if they put out something I was interested in.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it all started for me with the 911. I am always almost drooling and staring when I see one. This car just speaks to me and says "Automotive Perfection" however with that being out of reach for me finacially when the S2k came along I thought it was the best compromise and what would be better than a sports car from F1 origins and Honda quality as an extra .
My Honda fanaticism started with the Civic HX . For a cheap car that gets great mileage it sure is fun to drive and handles very well and is comfortable for what it is . You can drive the snot out of it and is still getting 35 mpg. This car has what I call a "Magic" and my 84 Accord I had and my Mom's 90 Accord do not even come close to this .
However having an S2k changes your perception of other cars . I have been on a lot of test drives lately and came away quite disappointed in other vehicles not being up to the S2k's level of fun. So now it is really hard to find the "Magic " in others but the Mk5 GTI seems to have that " I can not stop thinking about this car" after a test drive.
On the other side of the scale I seem to find one manufacturer that consistently fails to bring anything interesting to me and that is GM. Their consistent past failures would prevent me from EVER considering anything from this bunch.