Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Dealer overfilled crankcase...

Old 03-02-2010, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer overfilled crankcase...

Took my 09 IS350 to the dealer for its first oil change and, after driving car 700 plus interstate miles checked oil... the developmentally disabled kid tasked with oil changes overfilled the crankcase at least a quart, maybe a quart and a half...

Wondering if there is a potential for any serious engine damage down the road due to this oversight. Around town drving wouldn't concern me a whole lot but I tend to abuse the posted speed limits on long interstate runs.

I always change my own oil but, since it was the first one and I had to make a quick out of town trip, I let the dealer do it. Shame on me.

Thanks -
Old 03-02-2010, 05:09 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

A bit of overfill is not necessarily a problem, but you would have known when you pulled the dip stick - was the oil level just high or was there froth on it?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 AM

Thanks, Saki... no forth which probably means the oil wasn't geting whipped up by the crankshaft plus, at least in the old days, too much oil usually meant it would get blown out somewhere, right? Reckon I'm just anal and a bit paranoid in my old age. Lesson learned, I'll jut change my own oil... I, for some reason, still enjoy doing it, doing it kind of keeps you in touch with your car in terms of spotting possible maintance issues, and it annoys my wife..

Thinking everything is well... appreciate you taking the time
Old 03-02-2010, 06:13 AM

In some cases you can build up to much oil pressure which can cause seals to go bad. They become over saturated, expand and later dry rot. I am a mechanic, I have seen people put tranny fluid, 90wt, and other things you could not imagine in there engines and they still manage to run... Engines are not as picky as people claim them to be, unless you are demanding the most from it (racing) where tolerances are tighter and things are moving a little faster. If it was a few highway miles you will be fine, don't worry. Did you take it back to them? I would just in case before touching it, that way they are responsible for any possible problems.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:45 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

That's a good point - engines are built to tighter tolerances anymore, so you have to worry more about internal pressures as there's less opportunity to relieve pressure if there's too much oil, but as long as the oil can get picked up and dumped efficiently, it shouldn't back up in the engine.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 AM

Again... good and sincerely appreciated information. Especially the "let the dealer" deal with it tip. I made them aware of the issue yesterday and, to their credit, they have been falling all over themselves trying to right the wrong including offering to send someone out to my house to look at the car and a call from the the general manager late last night. Reckon I'll let them inspect the car so, as you pointed out, the issue is on record. Thank you.