Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Driving a Lotus Elise for the weekend...

Old 08-30-2003, 07:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

We've had the car for almost two weeks, I think they will pick it up on Tuesday. I've got the car for the weekend.

There have been a few people interested in checking the car out. It's kind of short notice, but I'll be at the Starbucks at Alton & Jeffrey in Irvine on Sunday morning at 8:00am. Stop by if you want to check it out.

A few more pix from today:

Old 08-30-2003, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shockwave667
[B] prestige that does come with driving a lotus.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MDXLuvr
[B]

interesting, most people would agree that lotus name has bit of prestige to it.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:54 PM

i live in the UK so we already have them over here.
I was thinking of buying one of these but i found the S much more fun. The tiny rover engine is a bit pathetic.......... to make this car AMAZING.... just add the S2000 engine in to it then that car would be fun to drive, but im not sure if the rear wheels would be able to put down the power..

Thank god i got the S
Old 08-31-2003, 05:48 AM
Banned

[B]interesting, most people would agree that lotus name has bit of prestige to it.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by shockwave667

Well the UK elise has a rover engine...so wny would any true lotus diehard like an elise at all?
Allow me to clarify. when somebody asks u "what do u drive?" and u reply "I drive a lotus" , alot of people would be impressed. However, if you told them u drive a lotus elise, well I'm not sure u would get the same reaction.

Don't get me wrong, I luv the elise, and i luv it even more b/c it will have a toyota engine in it. I would never consider buying if it came to u.s. with the rover engine. However, a significant portion of a car's prestige comes from the engine, and also from the fact that the manufacturer designed and manufactured all the parts. For example, a Detomaso pantera doesn't have the prestige of a early 70's ferrari or maserati. Same goes for a Iso Grifo, nice car that holds up its value but minimal prestige.

that doesn't mean it isn't a awesome car. I just don't know if i would call it prestigious.
rebuttal?
Old 08-31-2003, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by GChambers

I would tend to agree with you on this point. But, I would be much more interested in purchasing a car like this with a Toyota engine as opposed to a Rover engine. I think I missed where someone stated that the car would have 190hp in my first post. This 1500lb. car, with that much reliable Hp, would probably be a blast to drive.
that is the speculation and has been confirmed by some of the mags, and autoweek. the 2005 lotus elise will have the toyota celica gts engine and tranny(190 hp 4 cylinder with 6 spd manual). However, most people are expecting it to weigh in the 1850-1900 lb range(with the addition of airbags, crash protection, luxury features).

it would still be a blast to drive. Imagine a car smaller than a miata, weighing 500 lbs less, and having 50 more hp. I just wish they could have put the s2k engine in it.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:09 AM

i hope i am making some sense
Old 08-31-2003, 08:18 AM

[B]

that is the speculation and has been confirmed by some of the mags, and autoweek.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:06 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is the car I've wanted for a number of years. Since it wasn't available in the USA in 99 I bought the S2000. Don't get me wrong, I love the S2000 but a smaller, lighter car like the Elise would suit me better. I want one.

Quick Reply: Driving a Lotus Elise for the weekend...