Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Easiest 'luxury performance' car to maintain\own

Old 07-11-2008, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E90/92 3 Series
Old 07-11-2008, 06:55 AM

I'd go for the 335 because of the free maintenance.
Ya and when free maintenance period over then what? What if you want car long term?

Go look at reliability of the 2002 BMW 7 series and other BMW model coming off warranty. One friend 02 BMW 7 series is now a nightmare. He has to waste time from busy job to go to mechanic. You stuck with horrible junky car that sits in mechanic shop most of the time.

Avoid BMW and Benz. You think you might have showoff car but everyone and their mommy has one. I see more BMW and Benz than civic and accord in los Angeles. And if you keep it longtime you will be sorry. As free maintenance period over you will be driving around from mechanic shop to mechanic shop.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy to maintain + luxury = Lexus IMO. So, maybe an IS350 or try to get into an IS-F.
I also would consider Infiniti and Acura. Unfortunately, Acura doesn't have any cars that I like (although if the RL was RWD, I'd dig it). Maybe consider an Infiniti M-series. I think they're still in your price range.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:02 AM

Received 498 Likes on 381 Posts

Short term (3-5 years) new, 335i is hard to beat. Value and long term, g37 or is 350. Relative bargain, TL Type S. But luxury and performance just means one or the other is compromised.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 AM

how about the porsche Cayman S? Have anyone heard of issues with it after warranty?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S60R? Do they still make it?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:26 AM

I like the 135i. I test drove it and fell in love, but I can't get it until I'm done paying off the S2000!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grand Marquis.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:10 PM

G37, 1 or 335i would be my top choices if looking at a newer car. Maybe a C6, but I don't really consider it a luxury car. It definitely is more luxurious than the S2000, but if you're looking for the luxury image it has none. It's also not nearly as luxurious as an any of the others, but has performance in spades.

NSX has about as much luxury as a Hyundai... nice cars, but they weren't exactly luxury when they came out like 20 years ago and standards of luxury have gone up a lot since then.

Looking a little older the E46 M3 & Boxster S but if you're stretching to fit this into your budget walk away. A piece of advice I got early in life was for every dollar in gas put away some for maintenance/repairs. On a new car 50 cents, on a car thats more than a few years old a dollar. Save that up for maintenance and repairs. You can pretty safely figure an E46 M3 or BS will just about eat up a dollar for every one you put in gas where as an S2000 might take 30-50 cents.

Up to you if it's worth it, but if you're stretching to get into an early model BS or M3 I wouldn't do it. Maintenance and repairs are steep on both. On the M3 the insurance is also absolutely insane. It's one of the few cars that makes the S2000 look cheap to insure. So, figure double or triple the maintenance/repair costs (if you can turn a wrench or establish a good relationship with a quality shop and are willing to track down parts you can cut that down a lot as there is lots of markup on both parts and labor). With the M3 your insurance is also going to be about $1000 more a year while it will probably be a few hundred less on the BS. The BS also tends to be cheaper to maintain. They're a pain to work on but much better built than BMWs. There are several major mechanical failures that rear their heads in all BMWs where as the Boxster is pretty bullet proof. The labor hours and rates and consumables just cost a lot more than on the S2000.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyChang,Jul 11 2008, 06:55 AM
Ya and when free maintenance period over then what? What if you want car long term?

Go look at reliability of the 2002 BMW 7 series and other BMW model coming off warranty. One friend 02 BMW 7 series is now a nightmare. He has to waste time from busy job to go to mechanic. You stuck with horrible junky car that sits in mechanic shop most of the time.

Avoid BMW and Benz. You think you might have showoff car but everyone and their mommy has one. I see more BMW and Benz than civic and accord in los Angeles. And if you keep it longtime you will be sorry. As free maintenance period over you will be driving around from mechanic shop to mechanic shop.
Haha, If you get one it will love you longtime

Sorry, couldn't resist...this guy's english is fawking awesome!

Quick Reply: Easiest 'luxury performance' car to maintain\own