Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ford Expedition

Old 07-16-2009, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford Expedition

Hey guys,

I was doing a brake job on an Expedition. The front pads were completely worn through the pad material, so IDK if the extra heat made it more difficult, but the fron rotor was completely stuck. I sprayed some penetrating oil on it and whacked it with a 2lb hammer to the point that I bent the rotor and it still wouldn't free. I torched it with a propane torch, still no luck. I asked my neighbor, who is a retired mechanic and service station owner, He told me he used to have to drill the rotor around the hub area until he could crack it off. # drill bits later, that's what we did. Now I need to attack the other side. Any ideas? Anyone know if the rears have the same problem?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your on the right track, keep doin what your doin. it will eventually come off, i was a ford teck for 5 years.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 AM

Thanks. I guess there's no easy way. I think I'm going to use the sawzall on the other side.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:18 AM

oh yeah, get a bigger hammer, i used an 8 lb.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by FASTSIIK,Jul 16 2009, 09:18 AM
oh yeah, get a bigger hammer, i used an 8 lb.
Damn!! Biggest I have is a 3lb. I'm doing this job as a favor for free for one of my coworkers "poor" sister in laws. She drove by with her other car which is a Lexus LS460 lol.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 AM

lol, i did brakes for years and never ran into a rotor that a 5lbs dead blow couldn't handle.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

this is seriously a horrible suggestion, I want to make that clear ahead of time, but have you tried lowering the truck down onto the rotor?

I have had to do that when I had no other option.

Basically, you just take the wheel off with the car jacked up and then lower the jack until the weight of the car snaps the rotor off. The weight of the vehicle can put so much more force on the rotor than you can with a hammer, and it is continuous.

I have no idea if this would work on a truck. I have done it on a car only. Who knows what kind of potential clearance issues there will be.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:44 AM

Wow, I would never want to own an Expedition now.

Tan
Old 07-16-2009, 12:46 PM

Yeah, I've never had an issue like this before. Sawzall time when I get outta work.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Jul 16 2009, 10:56 AM
this is seriously a horrible suggestion, I want to make that clear ahead of time, but have you tried lowering the truck down onto the rotor?

I have had to do that when I had no other option.

Basically, you just take the wheel off with the car jacked up and then lower the jack until the weight of the car snaps the rotor off. The weight of the vehicle can put so much more force on the rotor than you can with a hammer, and it is continuous.

I have no idea if this would work on a truck. I have done it on a car only. Who knows what kind of potential clearance issues there will be.
How about try putting the jack under the rotor first?

Quick Reply: Ford Expedition