Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Forget that ole Porsche - git yerself a Jeep!

Old 11-06-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Looks like a swell time ):
Old 11-07-2019, 08:58 AM

Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

It's not really shocking. A lot of the people that buy Jeeps or midengine sports cars are passionate about activities with their vehicles. In that respect they're the same.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Annually, or a little more often, visit the wife's cousins in rural VA pretty far from the nearest paved road -- in recent years in the X73 (lowered) Boxster instead of the S2000. You see all the various relatives' cars lined up, far higher off the ground, how did we manage it?

But, of course, the other 364 years of the year -- no contest! Roadster > Jeep
Old 11-08-2019, 11:34 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I want one as an addition to the stable not to replace. Anyways, it has a low depreciation.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:34 PM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

My sister bought a Wrangler, and got rid of it about a year later as she was tired of dealing with water leaks even though it was under warranty. Surprisingly she lost almost nothing on the deal, it held it's value extremely well.

Nice to see the WRX on the list
Old 11-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

People buy sports cars thinking how fun they'll be. Then they realize they dont go to the track, can't havevgun with them legally, etc etc. Alot of people like doing outdoorsy stuff. Jeeps provide a visceral mechanical experience and oh btw I could have good times with loved ones while having fun and getting dirty. I wonder if jeep forums have detailing sections and endless threads on wax.

For some ebrhusuaats, q tipping their wheels for a Saturday is a good time. For others, creating memories and experiences is a better time.

And while yes this could be an image thing, they could just and get a range rover, I mean this crowd isnt switching from vettes to jeeps but porsches to jeeps.

They go to jeeps because they provide an unusual driving experience, not an experience that was honed through focus groups.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:23 PM

Received 424 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
People buy sports cars thinking how fun they'll be. Then they realize they dont go to the track, can't havevgun with them legally, etc etc. Alot of people like doing outdoorsy stuff. Jeeps provide a visceral mechanical experience and oh btw I could have good times with loved ones while having fun and getting dirty. I wonder if jeep forums have detailing sections and endless threads on wax.

For some ebrhusuaats, q tipping their wheels for a Saturday is a good time. For others, creating memories and experiences is a better time.

And while yes this could be an image thing, they could just and get a range rover, I mean this crowd isnt switching from vettes to jeeps but porsches to jeeps.

They go to jeeps because they provide an unusual driving experience, not an experience that was honed through focus groups.
Yeah man. A huge percentage of these chuds are absolutely taking them off road and not just posting up at the mall in their 15 MPG horse carriages.

Wranglers are actively unpleasant to drive on road but keep telling yourself it is not just about image.

People with boring lives try to make themselves look adventurous/exciting/interesting. It is just how boring, materialistic people have lived for centuries.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:58 AM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

^ As much as I don't want to own a Jeep, I have respect for any group of vehicle owners who are passionate about "their" vehicle no matter what it is. I know the Jeep community is very different than your average group of vehicle owners, a tight nit community with support from the vehicle engineers and very involved owner events..

I owned a couple SRT vehicles and it was amazing how passionate those owners were, and how the factory engineers were involved in their forums and events. The Honda forums and Honda owners often joke about other groups like that, but they just don't get it. I love having a vehicle where owners wave at each other and will stop to chat in random locations. My SRT vehicles were like that, the S2000 is somewhat similar, Jeeps and Corvettes are like that, and my WRX is like that too, probably many others that I don't know about.

I work with a fellow who wears Jeep clothing 7 days a week, I've never seen him not wearing a Jeep shirt. All of his pens, notebooks, laptop bags, and accessories are Jeep branded. Every long weekend he is off camping out at a Jeep event. He is a bit crazy and over the top, but I respect it.

You can respect other vehicle owner groups and vehicles, without wanting to own the vehicles, that's my take. I'd probably love to drive a Jeep for a few hours in certain driving conditions but then I'd want to give it back - kind of like holding a newborn baby , lol.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:16 AM

Received 424 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
^ As much as I don't want to own a Jeep, I have respect for any group of vehicle owners who are passionate about "their" vehicle no matter what it is. I know the Jeep community is very different than your average group of vehicle owners, a tight nit community with support from the vehicle engineers and very involved owner events..

I owned a couple SRT vehicles and it was amazing how passionate those owners were, and how the factory engineers were involved in their forums and events. The Honda forums and Honda owners often joke about other groups like that, but they just don't get it. I love having a vehicle where owners wave at each other and will stop to chat in random locations. My SRT vehicles were like that, the S2000 is somewhat similar, Jeeps and Corvettes are like that, and my WRX is like that too, probably many others that I don't know about.

I work with a fellow who wears Jeep clothing 7 days a week, I've never seen him not wearing a Jeep shirt. All of his pens, notebooks, laptop bags, and accessories are Jeep branded. Every long weekend he is off camping out at a Jeep event. He is a bit crazy and over the top, but I respect it.

You can respect other vehicle owner groups and vehicles, without wanting to own the vehicles, that's my take. I'd probably love to drive a Jeep for a few hours in certain driving conditions but then I'd want to give it back - kind of like holding a newborn baby , lol.
That all says Jeep owners and Harley owners are the same people. Posers trying to look like they live what the brand's image once was but now so clearly is not.

Harley was once for rebels/outlaws. Now for dentists and other generic jobs

Jeeps once had outdoorsy/adventurous clientele, now just those same goobers and suburban mall enthusiasts.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:19 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It goes both ways. Some people do it for the image and some actually like to go off-roading. I live in the desert, so 90% of jeeps you see around here absolutely do go off-roading and jeeps are very capable vehicles.

Trucks are more of an image thing around here than jeeps. Im looking to get a new daily so im not driving the s2k constantly. Pretty much every guy i know is like why dont you get a truck? Im not looking at a truck because i rarely have the need for a truck. When i do need a truck i can borrow a vehicle from a friend or they will just help me.

I get it though. I manage a rock and sand yard and occasionally i get a customer that wants a very small amount of gravel delivered. I tell them i can just load it in their truck with the tractor and they go "hell no, im not putting gravel in the back of my truck"........... like really?

Quick Reply: Forget that ole Porsche - git yerself a Jeep!