Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The future of Subaru...

Old 05-29-2008, 11:23 AM

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,May 29 2008, 02:07 PM
Actually, the more I think about it, the more shocked I am that Subaru would go to market with a RWD. Their whole marketing has beed AWD on everything we make for years, along with from the wheels that slip tot he wheels that grip. This one model will blow all of that...
I'm thinking platform sharing - Toyota bought Subaru shares for some reason, but Subaru is too small to make many engines and drivetrains, so maybe Toyota is usingthe Impreza chassis for a rwd car too - Subaru gets a version, but Toyota gets a new Celica too?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjim8201,May 29 2008, 10:32 AM
Good point. It just seems like a car Toyota would build, not Subaru. Could spawn some pretty nice upper range models.
LoL, Toyota building a car like this, right...

Toyota hasn't build anything performance car thats worth while since the GT-S. 09+ XRS's are jokes, the mr2 was a joke, and celica gt-s/scion tc are FWD, not to mention tc's aren't really true performance coupes. And you'd expect them to spawn upper range models, again. Most of their performance cars wear the Lexus badge and are upward of 70g's+.

Besides Toyota's marketing is base on fuel-econo boxes, and until Toyota can get out of that image, you won't see a sports performance model from them anytime soon. Same with Subaru, unless they get out of the AWD image you won't see this as RWD, it'll be AWD.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is another rendering I found, not so aggressive but I don't really care for it.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by S2KxPhiLe,May 29 2008, 03:52 PM
LoL, Toyota building a car like this, right...

Toyota hasn't build anything performance car thats worth while since the GT-S. 09+ XRS's are jokes, the mr2 was a joke, and celica gt-s/scion tc are FWD, not to mention tc's aren't really true performance coupes. And you'd expect them to spawn upper range models, again. Most of their performance cars wear the Lexus badge and are upward of 70g's+.

Besides Toyota's marketing is base on fuel-econo boxes, and until Toyota can get out of that image, you won't see a sports performance model from them anytime soon. Same with Subaru, unless they get out of the AWD image you won't see this as RWD, it'll be AWD.
I don't know if you noticed but they are done playing nice... Toyota will begin its assault in the performance market. Welcome IS-F, welcome LF-A, welcome new Supra and the list will grow to reach everyone in every income level. Together with Subaru they can make bullet proof sports cars.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Diablo99V,May 29 2008, 04:27 PM
I don't know if you noticed but they are done playing nice... Toyota will begin its assault in the performance market. Welcome IS-F, welcome LF-A, welcome new Supra and the list will grow to reach everyone in every income level. Together with Subaru they can make bullet proof sports cars.
I'll believe when I see it. I want to see a performance sports car UNDER the TOYOTA BADGE, not Scion/Subaru/or Lexus.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please make it!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:37 PM

With this and the rumored upcoming Legacy STI, I like the direction Subaru is taking.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by rouin,May 28 2008, 01:28 PM
is this the "ae86-esque" car that toyota/subaru were talking about months ago? if so, didn't they say it was supposed to be around 1200 kg?

once brought to america, this thing will be over 2900 lbs...
thats what i was thinking, then i saw the weight. oh well, like a tc, but rwd. im down with the price.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:30 PM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

I dunno why people are trippin about the weight. The S14 240sx only weighed a hundred pounds less. The current gen SI weighs the same. I can't think of one rwd coupe that weighs less than 3000lbs, let alone one with back seats and cost under 20K.
Man, if they could manage to throw in the turbo motor and keep it around 20 grand, ooo I'd be in heaven.
Does anyone agree with me about that it should be more cost effective for them to just use the ej205 engines? Or is emissions getting that stringent?
To be honest, rwd or awd, if they make what would essentialy be a wrx coupe I'd be all over it. Making it with the ej25 would be awesome as well, but I think they'll keep that thunder for the STI. Would be cool though to have a nice NA engine for the autocross folk and a turbo engine for the rest of us.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Diablo99V,May 29 2008, 04:27 PM
the LF-A is the new supra and as S2Kxphile stated they are under the lexus badge not toyota.

Quick Reply: The future of Subaru...