Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Gen 1 (2000 - 2006) Honda Insight

Old 04-12-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gen 1 (2000 - 2006) Honda Insight

Hi All,

I'm curious to see if anyone here has a Gen 1 Honda Insight here, and what their thoughts on it are. A lot of the miles I put on my s2k are highway miles, so I'm looking for another car to use as a DD while I keep the s2k as my weekend car. One car I keep coming back to is the first generation Honda Insight.

They're cheap at about $3 K, run forever (assuming they were taken care of), and while they do have battery issues, per the Insight forums, using a grid charger seems to make this a non-issue.

So, ultimately, I'm hoping to get some feedback from people in my situation, if they exist: going from an s2k or something similar to a car where the focus is almost purely gas mileage.
-- Do you enjoy driving the insight? That is, am I going to hate the driving experience coming from an s2k?
-- How is the trunk space? Given I can't hold anything in the s2k, this is of particular interest to me.
-- Any big maintenance issues you've had to deal with?
-- Anything other issues unique to the insight?

I realize I can ask this in the insight forums, but as mentioned above, getting feedback from other s2k owners would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:03 AM

I had one for a couple years

-- Do you enjoy driving the insight? That is, am I going to hate the driving experience coming from an s2k? I enjoyed driving mine immensely. As long as your expectations are in line with the car's design intent (i.e. don't expect it to drive like a sports car, but rather a FWD commuter focused on efficiency), you'll love how light yet solid it feels. It felt very familiar yet still somehow special like the s2k. Remember it was built to a higher price point than the actual MSRP and it shows - the fit and finish is better than a Civic or Accord from that era.
-- How is the trunk space? Given I can't hold anything in the s2k, this is of particular interest to me. The space under the hatch is deceptively huge. My wife and I took a 10 day/2500 mi road trip with our tent, sleeping bags, small ice box, and other camping gear and managed fine. There is a cavity under the carpet where the spare tire goes where you can fit even more stuff.
-- Any big maintenance issues you've had to deal with? None
-- Anything other issues unique to the insight?. The battery you mentioned is the only big ticket item. Grid charger should definitely go a long way towards longevity, but if it dies (mine did), you can get by with bypassing the battery and running gas only. It's painfully slow in gas only mode though and my average MPG dropped from 68mpg to 55mpg. Also, the mileage on these cars are very sensitive to your choice of tires. If you want to hit anything close to the 70mpg EPA rating, the OEM Bridgestones are the only ones that can do it.

One more thing - check rates with your insurance company before you buy one. I recall the Insight being rather expensive to insure, so unless you drive a ton, or want the car for reasons other than saving money, a less fuel efficient car might make more sense from a financial standpoint. Mine didn't save me any money over a Civic/Corolla, but I loved the car for other reasons. I still do a double take when I see a clean Silverstone on the road. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by mad pup
I had one for a couple years

-- Do you enjoy driving the insight? That is, am I going to hate the driving experience coming from an s2k? I enjoyed driving mine immensely. As long as your expectations are in line with the car's design intent (i.e. don't expect it to drive like a sports car, but rather a FWD commuter focused on efficiency), you'll love how light yet solid it feels. It felt very familiar yet still somehow special like the s2k. Remember it was built to a higher price point than the actual MSRP and it shows - the fit and finish is better than a Civic or Accord from that era.
-- How is the trunk space? Given I can't hold anything in the s2k, this is of particular interest to me. The space under the hatch is deceptively huge. My wife and I took a 10 day/2500 mi road trip with our tent, sleeping bags, small ice box, and other camping gear and managed fine. There is a cavity under the carpet where the spare tire goes where you can fit even more stuff.
-- Any big maintenance issues you've had to deal with? None
-- Anything other issues unique to the insight?. The battery you mentioned is the only big ticket item. Grid charger should definitely go a long way towards longevity, but if it dies (mine did), you can get by with bypassing the battery and running gas only. It's painfully slow in gas only mode though and my average MPG dropped from 68mpg to 55mpg. Also, the mileage on these cars are very sensitive to your choice of tires. If you want to hit anything close to the 70mpg EPA rating, the OEM Bridgestones are the only ones that can do it.

One more thing - check rates with your insurance company before you buy one. I recall the Insight being rather expensive to insure, so unless you drive a ton, or want the car for reasons other than saving money, a less fuel efficient car might make more sense from a financial standpoint. Mine didn't save me any money over a Civic/Corolla, but I loved the car for other reasons. I still do a double take when I see a clean Silverstone on the road. Good luck!
Thanks! This is extremely helpful. I actually gave my insurance company a call yesterday. I pay a base fee + a per mile amount. Given my average monthly miles, combined with their multi car discount, my insurance actually goes down by a few dollars, assuming at least about 2/3 of my miles are on the Insight. This shouldn't be a problem since I plan to DD the Insight.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucljae
Thanks! This is extremely helpful.
I'm just here to say I'm disappointed you didn't thank him for his insights.
The following 2 users liked this post by white98ls:
coop3422 (05-05-2017), freq (04-17-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by white98ls
I'm just here to say I'm disappointed you didn't thank him for his insights.
I have failed. Not sure I deserve this car anymore.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think they're pretty neat cars.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

My boss traded his in with over 325,000 miles on it. It needed a new battery about every 110,000 miles.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Just watched the video. I didn't realize they were only 1850lbs! I bet they are fun to drive.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Not quite S2000 fun levels.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by s2ka
Not quite S2000 fun levels.

Haha true, but fortunately I can jump back into the s2000

Quick Reply: Gen 1 (2000 - 2006) Honda Insight