Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Give up the S for a bike?

Old 10-24-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idk im kinda over the s2k myself (i know i just envoked flamage by saying that) but after building 5 imports im kinda done with the whole sceen. bought my bike about 1 1/2 months ago and i love it..... agreed with some of the earlier statements that you cant drive it all the time but i would much rather pay for my bike than to pay for my s2k look @ it this way if you want to upgrade parts are simi cheap with the exception of the 300+ series tire kit and if you mess it up plastics are only 100-200 bucks a pop most come painted for that price...... I have a hayabusa camed, stroked, bored 15 over, yoshi rs3 dule exhaust, brocks headder andand power commander.... the only reason i havent sold my S is because my dad didnt do maint on my integra so the timming belt broke and its the only car i have thats running i have found that it is alot cheaper to make b18 fast vs the f20c not to mention after you get a bike you prolly wont want to make a car fast any more and start working on the looks of it.... bikes are fast stock bottem line... get you something to take you back and forth to work and make you bike the way you want it..... its cheap easy and fun and guess what if it breaks, so what its a hobby and you can go without your bike longer than you can your car. this is not to put down other ppl saying that the S is an impractical hobby but when you look at cost vs your end goal weather it be stright line or on a track a bike is the ultimate cost effective machine. I love S2k's its just that in the end it vs a bike with half the money invested in it will almost always loose..... these comments are purly opinions and only you can decide whats the best road for you but i will tell you this i have been kicking myself in the butt for not buying this "toy" a long time ago
Old 10-26-2010, 10:18 AM

I just went the opposite way. I traded my 05 Harley-Davidson Softail Deuce for an 03 S2000. I wasn't riding my Harley much so I figured a change was in order. It's only been a couple weeks, but being on 4 wheels with the top down rather than just 2 wheels is much more relaxing and enjoyable for me. I can honestly say that once the thrill of a bike wears off, you begin to think about the reality of the danger of riding. Everybody has or knows someone who's been a victim in an incident. At first you just blow off the stories and tell yourself it's not going to happen to you. After a while, you start to feel like it's inevitably going to happen to you. This really took the enjoyment out of it for me. I'm very happy with my decision at this point.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:30 PM

If it's your first bike, don't buy something expensive/fast. You might think you'll be a careful rider, but mistakes can be made. I don't even know how to ride a bike (yet). I'm just suggesting this because I plan on purchasing a bike after I take the MSF course next month, and I'm looking into Kawasaki Ninja 250Rs. They're relatively cheap used, quick for novice drivers, and look sexy.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Better listen to this advice; you're almost guaranteed to regret trading/selling your S for a CBR! Get rid of that DD Civic first...or just store that bike in the kitchen or living room. Also a good conditioned CBR can run you around $5k, so just save up a bit so you can have the best of both worlds.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by jjgoff,Oct 26 2010, 10:18 AM
I just went the opposite way. I traded my 05 Harley-Davidson Softail Deuce for an 03 S2000. I wasn't riding my Harley much so I figured a change was in order. It's only been a couple weeks, but being on 4 wheels with the top down rather than just 2 wheels is much more relaxing and enjoyable for me. I can honestly say that once the thrill of a bike wears off, you begin to think about the reality of the danger of riding. Everybody has or knows someone who's been a victim in an incident. At first you just blow off the stories and tell yourself it's not going to happen to you. After a while, you start to feel like it's inevitably going to happen to you. This really took the enjoyment out of it for me. I'm very happy with my decision at this point.
Thank you, this is the first good answer to this question i been asking myself for the past 2 years.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by UmarS2K,Nov 16 2010, 01:30 PM
If it's your first bike, don't buy something expensive/fast. You might think you'll be a careful rider, but mistakes can be made. I don't even know how to ride a bike (yet). I'm just suggesting this because I plan on purchasing a bike after I take the MSF course next month, and I'm looking into Kawasaki Ninja 250Rs. They're relatively cheap used, quick for novice drivers, and look sexy.
And in the immortal words of cartman "gay as hell" only lesbians think the ninja is sexy and maybe tweens.

Driving the s is more fun for me than my cbr and I have "the" bad ass cbr 600

I wouldn't trade my s for a bike even mine - however I don't track alot anymore I have too many beautiful places to drive 10 minutes away to waste money on track days.

Watching go pro footage between my bike and s on the same roads is like watching a yugo battle a pagani but I really don't care about the ultimate speed I just like the drive.

For tracking the bike is alot cheaper but your going to freeze your butt off right now unlike the S.

As for the CBR the next generation will be out sometime next year possibly early next year and it's rumored in order to make a comeback in AMA next year production engines will be upgrade to direct injection so you may want to wait
Old 11-24-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say Do it. Get something like a newer SI or rsx type S for a DD, get some coilovers for it and, go get a bike as well. I really dont think you'll miss the S alot with that combo sitting in the driveway.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Duke Togo,Nov 24 2010, 12:53 PM
And in the immortal words of cartman "gay as hell" only lesbians think the ninja is sexy and maybe tweens.
Hmm... I must be a lesbian then.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sh** it would be nice to add a bike to all that. It will be extremely fun with the bike, believe me. I still regret selling my 07 CBR600RR, but one thing that i cant forget is other people aren't exactly looking for you out on the road.

If you commute with it, that will get boring. Your going to want to have fun with these things, and they get up to speed damn fast. That in turn makes you feel free and become a nice target for officer friendly and his friendly written advice fees.

Insurance isn't too bad, i was 19 when i bought my CBR and insurance was 60 a month full coverage ($1000 deductible) on my own policy. However, as new tax years come so do zoning changes that define a policy premium. I was raised $30 at the beginning of this year due to this "zoning change", which helped me decide to sell. Unless is was duped and taken for $30 extra.

But nothing beats hopping on the back, starting it up and taking off.

Shop around, if a deal strikes you then look into it more.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i am stuck with this dilemma right now...

the s2000 sits for a week at a time now, as the harley is my daily driver. have been thinking that i could easily park 3 or 4 bikes if i didnt have that car!!

but it sure is hard to face getting rid of it. still brings a smile every time i drive.

Quick Reply: Give up the S for a bike?