Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Give up the S for a bike?

Old 12-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without a doubt I would give up a car anyday over a bike. A car cannot compare to a motorbike in the way it involves you completely. True riders know what I'm talking about. The thought of choosing a car over a bike shouldn't even register. Once you catch the bug, it's with you for life.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=shyong,Dec 7 2010, 03:30 PM] Without a doubt I would give up a car anyday over a bike.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by EastS2k,Dec 7 2010, 11:54 PM
Or with you on the windshield of an older persons buick.
Real mature. Just like a true cager. With that kind of response, what are you doing here on the bike forum anyway?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:50 PM

hmmm - it's hard to say if I would personally make such a drastic decision like that not knowing how much you would love the bike.

I picked up a Ninja 250R myself - and as much as I loved it, I wouldn't give up the S for it. Like someone else stated earlier - there's a whole slew of concerns that come with a motorcycle - e.g. theft, weather, risk, etc.

I used to have an Acura Integra - and as much as I loved that car, the theft problems really ruined it for me.

Ultimately - if I was you. I'd get the bike first - then decide if getting rid of the S is worthwhile. I assume from owning both an S and a fairly recent Civic, you probably can afford a starter bike + equipment.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by shyong,Dec 7 2010, 03:30 PM
Without a doubt I would give up a car anyday over a bike. A car cannot compare to a motorbike in the way it involves you completely. True riders know what I'm talking about. The thought of choosing a car over a bike shouldn't even register. Once you catch the bug, it's with you for life.
Agreed!

Without a doubt, I would give up my car for my bike ... plus cash haha. I've never been much of a car guy though. It has always been more about motorcycles.

I think that OP should sell the DD Civic. You can always get another DD. It's harder to replace the S. Get an easy forgivable bike. Take your time on learning because every step and technique helps - in fact, your life depends on it. Go on the bike forums and do your research. Remember to gear up!!! Gear is expensive. Prepare for the hurt your wallet is about to take. My gear: helmet $350, 1 piece suit $850, gloves $150, boots $350, jacket $350 (approximate prices). I've never paid retail and I have top of the line gear (sorry, I don't mean to brag, but it's advice for you to follow if you choose to). My suit was $1,500, but I know my way around and have connections (use ebay and craigslist! It'll help!).

If you're really a rider, you'd realize the absolute freedom you're granted when you're on that bike. It's pretty amazing to say the least. The S2000 has more of a relaxing enjoyment out of it. The bike has more excitement to it. One thing that everybody can agree on is that motorcycles are dangerous. I've experienced it first hand. I've low-sided and high-sided before, but you know what? I'm still on the bike because I would never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FF Chea,Dec 12 2010, 03:14 AM
Agreed!

Without a doubt, I would give up my car for my bike ... plus cash haha. I've never been much of a car guy though. It has always been more about motorcycles.

I think that OP should sell the DD Civic. You can always get another DD. It's harder to replace the S. Get an easy forgivable bike. Take your time on learning because every step and technique helps - in fact, your life depends on it. Go on the bike forums and do your research. Remember to gear up!!! Gear is expensive. Prepare for the hurt your wallet is about to take. My gear: helmet $350, 1 piece suit $850, gloves $150, boots $350, jacket $350 (approximate prices). I've never paid retail and I have top of the line gear (sorry, I don't mean to brag, but it's advice for you to follow if you choose to). My suit was $1,500, but I know my way around and have connections (use ebay and craigslist! It'll help!).

If you're really a rider, you'd realize the absolute freedom you're granted when you're on that bike. It's pretty amazing to say the least. The S2000 has more of a relaxing enjoyment out of it. The bike has more excitement to it. One thing that everybody can agree on is that motorcycles are dangerous. I've experienced it first hand. I've low-sided and high-sided before, but you know what? I'm still on the bike because I would never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.
Sounds like you might be getting Dainese/AlpineStars at those price points. Best prices on that stuff are to be found overseas from Italy even with EU->$ conversion. I just got a Montone jacket for just around $600 - brand new straight from Italy and authorized dealer. I usually buy locally to support the small business guys, but when something is more than 1/2 off and hard to find to begin with, that's hard to overlook.

OP: Agreed with Chea, don't cheap out on the gear. It gets expensive but it can save your life or your body parts. If you go all year round for your DD without car you'll want to look at how the EU peeps get around and what they wear. I've been there and they wear true daily utility bike gear. For instance one piece suits could be a bummer for DD action to and from work. You may want to invest in some good two pieces and rain proof tour wear that can fit over your clothes. Aero Stitch is pricey but one of the best for that. There are some lower cost options that could do the job as well. Get warm Winter gear if your climates change like they do in the Midwest for me. I DD my bikes as much as I can all year round even though I have cars. Snow and nasty rain usually is all that gets me in the car.

Good luck, enjoy, and ride safe!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:02 PM

get the bike when its summer time i take the bike out all the time and the S comes out for maybe 500 miles the whole summer lol, bikes are amazingly fun but just make shure you have theft insurance if i had to choose between my cbr and my S id keep the cbr cause i already have a DD
Old 12-14-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've been thinking about picking up a cbr 600 as well. i want a little more excitement for my 8 minute commute to work. also is there a reason why most people buy a 600 vs a 1000
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 AM

Unless you find your "dream ride", you get tired of anything eventually. I enjoyed my Harley for 5 years before the thrill was gone. Now I thoroughly enjoy my S2K and feel much safer as well. I'm sure one day I may trade the S for something else tho'; hopefully, my ultimate dream car, a 1969 Camaro RS/Z28 with a DZ302, cross-ram, 4-speed, black with white stripes and black houndstooth interior...I'd never get rid of that.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:53 AM

I know riding is riding...but damn, riding a cruiser/Harley, it's about as fun as visiting the dentist. I know fully well I'd never trade in a 'sportscar" for a cruiser. Even a standard type motorbike is much more fun as you can sling them around corners. Cruiser's...not so much unless you like dragging chrome on the ground.

I can see how someone could trade in their Harley for an S2000.

Quick Reply: Give up the S for a bike?