Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Go Go MPS

Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Haven't driven a MS3 although the powerplant even in the automatic CX-7 SUV loaner I had was pretty fun. The 3.8 Genesis is really a pretty good car. The handling is neutral, good torque, factory LSD. Transmission is iffy and it feels a bit heavy somewhat like an E36 M3.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Sep 15 2009, 07:25 PM
It's not al elitist thing at all. A well sorted eg can probably outhandle the majority of the cars on the road today. I prefer rwd for things like torque steer and I hate understeer, things I can feel on the road. People here always talk about feel, nothing fun about hanging in a corner wrestling understeer. I've owned fwd, rwd, and awd, awd was the easiest and rwd the most fun, fwd wasfun but torque steer and understeer kinda dampered the fun for fwd. But the fwd was theeasiest to live with.

I do canyon runs quite a bit, and I do take advantage of RWD in shifting the weight transfer balance around corners. I've only taken it to the track once so far as it's my DD and we're saving for a house.

My buddy has a Cobalt SS. It's the faster car without question (we're at 4500ft altitude). It's also more practical, actually has torque, and cost him quite a bit less money than mine. We went to the track together. We both had a lot of fun, but he hated that his car had front-biased weight distribution and tended towards understeer. (Yeah, that can be tuned out, but it's a fundamental vehicle dynamics issue that has to be worked around.) And his Cobalt SS is really a great car, and we both like it.

My last car was a Dodge Stealth. FWD, 60/40. The dynamics reduced the fun factor--especially the nose-heavy weight distribution on corners. And it was still a fun car and I really liked it.

But my buddy and I both liked the S2000 MUCH better on the track than the Cobalt SS. It's just more fun. My brother's C3 vette was the slowest car out there, but he had an absolute BLAST fighting to keep the tail under control.

Enjoying yourself is 100x more important than posting great lap times. And RWD is fun. So are convertibles.