Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda CEO steps down..

Old 02-27-2015, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
I bought a Charger SRT fully loaded. The deal I was able to get was out of this world. I'm tracking it later in March. It competes nicely with cars in it's class, it's no S2000 but that part of my life has passed.
That's a very sad statement sir, with all due respect
That won't happen with me (I don't have children but that won't change anything..)
Thou shall not pass
Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 AM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito' timestamp='1424984193' post='23520503
Jon, I guess all of your reasoning above is why you just bought a BMW
For starters, I owned 2 S2000s, including a 2008 that I sold two years ago. I've owned 3 Accords and 1 Civic, plus 1 Acura EL. I bought the BMW used, so it has nothing to do with Honda's current product offering. Even if Honda made a RWD, 300+ hp sportscar, I wouldn't buy it brand new because I don't want to eat depreciation. So yeah, the BMW really does represent my typical purchase.

I bought the BMW because it was a great deal, had low miles, was fun to drive and had nearly three years of warranty on it. I can probably sell it for what I paid, any time. I'm an enthusiast, which means I buy what I like for cars that are bought purely for enjoyment (ie, my personal fun vehicle). For all others, I find Honda is typically the best (or nearly so) for reliability, economy, cost of ownership and fun to drive. Based on my EXPERIENCE, they are worth owning for the long haul.

If I wanted to own (not lease) a mid-sized car, I'd get the Accord every time. Minivan? Odyssey. Near-luxury SUV? MDX. Cute ute? CR-V. All of the "standard" vehicles I buy are purchased with the intent to keep them a long time. That means I get a Honda, most of the time. Full-size pickups aren't made by Honda so I went GM.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by not4s4l3
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1424986486' post='23520549

I bought a Charger SRT fully loaded. The deal I was able to get was out of this world. I'm tracking it later in March. It competes nicely with cars in it's class, it's no S2000 but that part of my life has passed.
That's a very sad statement sir, with all due respect
That won't happen with me (I don't have children but that won't change anything..)
Thou shall not pass
Hey if you're still enjoying it rock on.

Got pretty lame when I was always driving it by myself, or in 100f+ temps I was just enjoying the blasting A/C. A wife and kid change a lot, I said the same thing until there was a kid. We'd use it on date nights but it wasn't really the same. My wife loved the car but it was so infrequently used it didn't make sense. I want to regularly drive the car I love. Then something changed, it started to hurt my back and neck. The noise grew old, the rattles etc. I always thought I'd own it for life but here I am, having as much fun with something else. Now I can load up the kiddo for father/son time and have a blast.

I'll tell you something too. Owning such a powerful car changes the way you drive. It's got so much character and power you treat it with respect. Cruising down the freeway is a pleasant experience and then you go WOT to hear the roar of the V8 and that exhaust note. I'll tell you that soothes your soul. The S2000 was always fun but you could pretty much flog it at any point without issue. Reving it out was nice but it got old hitting 8k to pass a minivan. This car easily hits 150, and flicking it into sport or track mode gives you a different ride. Sold. The only thing I'm getting used to is the size. But hey 470 rwd tq is a blast, at 20 or 120. What's pretty cool for me is that it's a track ready sedan from the factory. I'll run it with the stock pads/fluid to see how it holds up shortly but others have had good experience running stock. That's pretty bad ass, particularly from a domestic. I just loved that about my S2k.

So sharing that with others is the joy for me. I admit I'm growing older and the creature comforts like being able to take a business call while driving matter to me. The heat/cooled seats are nice out here. More import for me is being able to use the car in a wider range of activities.

It love it if Honda would figure out how to make something like the RLX but sportier with the roar of a v8. But I got my SRT fully loaded with an extended b2b OTD for less then list, which is a far cry from the RLX.

I'm really excited you still love yours and enjoy seeing them on the street. Just played with one merging onto the freeway a few days ago, he had me until just after the apex... which for me is impressive given the size.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

Rob, automatic only?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Yeah, need to buy a Challenger if you want stick. One of the few high HP cars in stick. Hellcat in 6speed!