Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda FCX... hydrogen vehicles in general

Old 01-24-2007, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been following this for the past 9 years, I am a firm believer that it is coming and it will be the next source of fuel for the common car. The debate is really will the car mix the fuel or will it be pre mixed from the gas station. Platinum prices are going to go through the roof, so start investing!!! It is the main component in converting the energy.
MAtt
Old 01-25-2007, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by mayanh8,Jan 24 2007, 07:50 PM
Hydrogen fueled cars have no future at all. None whatsoever. The amount of power it takes for a hydrogen plant to rip enough hydrogen from water to power a car is equal to the amount of power it takes to run a small town for a day.

The only way hydro cars would make any sense is if some Einstein came around and revolutionized the way we harvest hydrogen.

As for current workable alternatives to fossil fuel cars... electric cars seem to be the most practicle. That and renewable fuels like ethanol.
You're obviously clueless as to how hydrogen fuel cell cars work.

The car itself converts water to Hydrogen to electric energy via the fuel cell, and the electric generator provides the current to turn the compressor turbine that performs the electrolysis. It's a closed loop system that operates as long as there is still hydrogen left in the water, and it only uses a battery to start the process. The only emission is water. There is no coal burning "power plant" involved here. Just add water, the car does the power converting.

I drove a variety of fuel cell cars this summer to test them - Mercedes, VW, BMW, Ford, Kia, Chrysler, and Honda. I'm a big VW fan, but I have to say I was most impressed by the Kia's powerplant... quiet, lots of torque, good driving feel.

If any of the major automakers began selling fuel cell cars here, I'd buy one for sure. Screw putting expensive gasoline in the car when you can just put in distilled water!!!! At $0.89 per gallon, it's a much better deal.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g60racer,Jan 25 2007, 04:12 AM

The car itself converts water to Hydrogen to electric energy via the fuel cell, and the electric generator provides the current to turn the compressor turbine that performs the electrolysis. It's a closed loop system that operates as long as there is still hydrogen left in the water, and it only uses a battery to start the process. The only emission is water. There is no coal burning "power plant" involved here. Just add water, the car does the power converting.

I drove a variety of fuel cell cars this summer to test them - Mercedes, VW, BMW, Ford, Kia, Chrysler, and Honda. I'm a big VW fan, but I have to say I was most impressed by the Kia's powerplant... quiet, lots of torque, good driving feel.

If any of the major automakers began selling fuel cell cars here, I'd buy one for sure. Screw putting expensive gasoline in the car when you can just put in distilled water!!!! At $0.89 per gallon, it's a much better deal.
I'm not one to start problems, but you are so amazingly wrong it is unbelievable.

I really hope you are kidding around.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by g60racer,Jan 25 2007, 01:12 AM

You need to brush up on your understanding of hydrogen technology.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the car running on water is a misunderstanding that is out of the ballpark.

But is it more ridiculous than the current reality... the serious challenges to hydrogen as a mass market vehicle fuel? There are no economic proposals to produce, store, or transport hydrogen. The development of vehicles seems to have skipped over the innovation needed for the infrastructure, not to mention the hundreds of billions of dollars investment, if we knew how to do it.

Today hydrogen is produced from natural gas, stored in limited industrial facilities, and transported by truck (the few pipeline networks are small, local, low volume paths supporting industrial use). There are no proposals on the table to make it practical or economical enough to compete with burning fossil fuels.

As we have discussed before, hydrogen powered car appear to be a public relations exercise at this point.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cubs2k,Jan 24 2007, 07:41 PM
Bill,

If I'm not mistaken, Natural Gas Fuel Cells produce, CO2 as well as Water waste.
Then it is not zero emmision because it is producing CO2. And yes if you're using natural gas CH4 to produce hydrogen the C has to go somewhere.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll buy a fuel cell vehicle when a viable sports car can be produced using the technology. Not until then.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll buy one.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by g60racer,Jan 25 2007, 01:12 AM

I'm curious about this because the Honda version on s2ki Home says right on it that you refill the hydrogen in the tank, not that you pour water in it, yet you say that you've driven these cars. are these some future versions that you got a chance to drive?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by bloodzombie,Jan 25 2007, 12:01 PM
I'm curious about this because the Honda version on s2ki Home says right on it that you refill the hydrogen in the tank, not that you pour water in it, yet you say that you've driven these cars. are these some future versions that you got a chance to drive?
The guy obviously has no clue what is going on.

Quick Reply: Honda FCX... hydrogen vehicles in general