Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda FCX... hydrogen vehicles in general

Old 01-26-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Station,Jan 25 2007, 07:43 AM
I'll buy a fuel cell vehicle when a viable sports car can be produced using the technology. Not until then.
http://www.venturifetish.fr/?lang=en

its not "fuel cell" per se however it is an electric car, and all fuel cells do is power electric cars (the FCX is simply a fuel cell powered electric car)

Electric cars = the future --- The problem is creating enough electricity to operate the vehicle. If all the big car comapnies spend as much time R&D'ing Fuel cells (or other ways to generate that much electricity) then there is no reason why we could not have a car that runs 1000 or even 10000 miles before a "fill up" (of whatever "it" may be)

Besides, electric cars have better torque potential then a combustion engine. If you floor it, all the power is available instantly to the electric motor. No need to climb the revs like on our 9k rpm beasts.......
Old 01-27-2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by sevenplaces,Jan 26 2007, 03:27 PM
http://www.venturifetish.fr/?lang=en

its not "fuel cell" per se however it is an electric car, and all fuel cells do is power electric cars (the FCX is simply a fuel cell powered electric car)

Electric cars = the future --- The problem is creating enough electricity to operate the vehicle. If all the big car comapnies spend as much time R&D'ing Fuel cells (or other ways to generate that much electricity) then there is no reason why we could not have a car that runs 1000 or even 10000 miles before a "fill up" (of whatever "it" may be)

Besides, electric cars have better torque potential then a combustion engine. If you floor it, all the power is available instantly to the electric motor. No need to climb the revs like on our 9k rpm beasts.......

Nothing beats max power output at 0 rpms.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnE,Jan 26 2007, 04:28 PM
But, if you hook up the electrolysis operation (converting water to hydrogen) to a nuclear powerplant, bingo. Now you have clean energy. This is how we decouple ourselves from the arab teat. Coal is not clean. The mercury and cadmium contained in fish comes from this so-called clean and cheap fuel.
It ain't clean by any means, but it is contained.....as much as Yucca mtn. will hold....if it gets that far..
Old 01-28-2007, 06:20 AM
Banned

I loved the smell of my test pipe....and the sound of 3 inch exhaust shooting shit into the air...no way im trading that in for a battery toy.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnE,Jan 26 2007, 03:28 PM
But, if you hook up the electrolysis operation (converting water to hydrogen) to a nuclear powerplant, bingo. Now you have clean energy. This is how we decouple ourselves from the arab teat. Coal is not clean. The mercury and cadmium contained in fish comes from this so-called clean and cheap fuel.
Please stop with the hydrogen pipe dreams...

Here are some facts and if you don't like this summary there are many more with the same conclusion... it ain't gonna happen.

http://www.energybulletin.net/4541.html
Old 01-28-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mayanh8,Jan 27 2007, 07:14 PM

Nothing beats max power output at 0 rpms.
I'd rather have a flat torque curve than a flat power curve.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:38 AM

so why doesnt the world switch to nuclear power? that'd solve the situation with fossil fuels burning to separate hydrogen. surely with todays technology we can produce safe nuclear energy?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:45 AM

I hate to sound negative, but the oil companies and the car manufacturers stand to make alot of money just continueing to do things the same old same old. (Atleast for now). I won't even get into the role politicians play...But it is good to hear that consumers are atleast openminded to alternative forms/uses of energy
Old 01-28-2007, 12:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jackalope,Jan 28 2007, 01:38 PM
so why doesnt the world switch to nuclear power? that'd solve the situation with fossil fuels burning to separate hydrogen. surely with todays technology we can produce safe nuclear energy?
No, you need to read up on why there is no answer there... here is what one expert says:

"No matter how you look at it, producing hydrogen from water is an energy sink. If you don't understand this concept, please mail me ten dollars and I'll send you back a dollar."
Old 01-28-2007, 02:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jackalope,Jan 28 2007, 01:38 PM
Nobody wants to have a nuclear plant anywhere near them. Any politician who approves a new plant would likely be voted out of office the very next opportunity.

Quick Reply: Honda FCX... hydrogen vehicles in general