Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How do you not obsess over door dings?

Old 06-14-2016, 07:30 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

If it was as simple as "hug a curb and it all is well" I'd be a happy camper. But it seems like the harder I try to give people a wife berth, the bigger dildos they are.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:34 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't care about door dings on my daily, that's what I bought it for

As for the S, I park very far away and closer to the curb on the last spot in the row.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

I loathe door dings and avoid them. I haven't had a door ding in the last 3 autos. What I do is park far away, and next to a curb. But many times that means another parking lot, and I mean the sticks. Out in the sticks where no one is you can slant your vehicle, take up multiple spots, etc. Another trick is to park in the back. My local megaplex theater, the employees park in the back, and they make routine trips to the dumpsters so it's a safe place to park. They are stuck there until the place closes.

But the main thing I do is avoid places that have a high douche count. Examples, fast food establishments, stick and ball games, bars.
Groceries, go on the slowest day of the week for them (Monday nights). Also find establishments that have large parking spaces and avoid ones that don't.. Our local Costco does so combine that with Monday or Tuesday night so I'm all set. You couldn't pay me $100 to go to that place on the weekends. Need new underwear from the mall? Go when it's dead. IKEA or any mass consumer furniture joint, don't even park in their parking lot. Park in a nearby business office that is empty. I walk a lot, it's healthy. The lady is with me and she starts up her bitching, I remind her she is burning calories. If she continues to bitch then I drop her off.

Basically practice people avoidance. The herd is easy to track because they spend all their time doing the same thing that the rest of the herd do. Avoid them. If you are a constantly on the go person, always out and about, always eating out, always shopping, and spending money it cannot be avoided. Thankfully FedEx and the Internet can be used together to keep you out of many places. At work, find the car guys, and form a team. We have one at work. All of us park in the same area and know each person's vehicles so we slam them together away from everybody. Longer walk, more of a pita, but the mouth breathers hate to walk far, walk up/down stairs, etc.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:19 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Thankfully in all my years of owning nice cars I've never gotten a door ding. I've always had a garage at home in which to keep them, and when I go out and park the car in public I always park away from everyone else (whenever possible). I don't care if it's raining or whatever, I'm parking in the back of the lot. Of course there are always a few circumstances where you're forced to park in tight spots and I guess I've been lucky to park next to nice people. People down here love to boast of southern hospitality (though in my experience they're full of it) but in this instance maybe they actually are being considerate.

Now my poor Integra, that's another story...hell one time I came out to my car during a football game and found a new door ding on her, as well as the offending car parked less than a foot away. I called over a policeman (they were all around directing traffic) and despite the ding matching up PERFECTLY with the swing radius of the door he said unless I saw it happen he couldn't do anything. I think that's BS, but I think he was blowing me off b/c A) my car was already covered in dents and B) I was quite drunk, lol.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I also have started avoiding parking next to cars with child seats in the back, or coupes/convertibles with long doors.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Door dings are inevitable in Socal.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:39 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I park in the back of parking lots.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

My C7 Corvette doors are carbon fiber. They don't dent. However, I share your obsession about my doors getting banged into in parking lots.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm worried to find out what happens when you whack a Corvette door. Does the paint chip? I have a C5 and think about these things
Old 06-16-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be like a Saturn, lol.

Quick Reply: How do you not obsess over door dings?